AnsweredAssumed Answered

Make slot width equal Woodruff key width

Question asked by David O'Neil on Mar 5, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 5, 2011 by David O'Neil

I found one solution to this problem while writing this up (it has been a long hour), but is there another one?  The fix I found was on this thread: http://www.mcadcentral.com/solidworks/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1002&PN=27, by creating in-context features from the Woodruff key into the sketch of the slot.  Basically,

• I have an assembly file
  • One of the virtual parts in the file is a shaft with a slot for a Woodruff key
  • The Woodruff key is in an external file, and it contains a design table with configurations

My original equation was without in-contexting anything, and the equation looked like:

• "D2@Sketch2" = "D1@Extrude@WoodruffKeys.sldprt"*25.4  ' (The Woodruff file is in inches, the assembly is in mm.)

It actually worked once (miraculously) but I couldn't get it to update properly when I changed the key configuration.  So I tried changing the equation to

• "D2@Sketch2" = "D1@Extrude@WoodruffKeys<1>"*25.4

but that didn't work, either (nor did a few other guesses as to how the <1> might go in).  Is there a solution without in-contexting, or is what I found the only way to go?

Thanks,

David

Outcomes