11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 12:42 PM by Paul Marsman

Trying to reset SW2010 Toolbars to Default

Jeremy Walser

Hello,

I've recently started a new Designer position using SolidWorks 2010.  I've been given a PC that had been used previously by another user.  There are some major toolbar issues with this setup...

1.  The  View (heads-Up) toolbar is missing even though it's selected to be active...de-selecting it has no effect.

2.  The Shortcut bar is empty no matter if I'm in a drawing, model, assm, etc.  I can add icons, but like the way SW has them organized by default.

3.  The Command Manager at the top has a lot of missing icons.  For example, the Sketch tab is nearly empty

I've went to the Customize/Options tab and reset everything to defaults and it has no effect.  I've done a little digging through the SolidWorks folder in the Program Files directory and couldn't find anything that I thought was a custom user file.  I've also scanned the Registry to see if anything jumped out at me, but I didn't see a smoking gun.

So, basically I'm looking for help just getting everything back to defaults!  Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy Walser

• Re: Trying to reset SW2010 Toolbars to Default
          Jeremy Walser

FYI, per a suggestion in another post, I renamed the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks registry entry to SolidWorks-Old and it had no effect on the toolbars when I restarted SolidWorks.

The search continues...

Chris Kamery

The best way is to edit the Windows Registry.

With SolidWorks not running goto:

Start > Run > regedit

Look for a folder called HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / SolidWorks and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / SolidWorks

Rename the folders to SolidWorksOld or something else.

The next time you start SolidWorks, everything should be back to the factory defaults.

Chris

Jeremy Walser

I was able to rename  HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / SolidWorks and that did not help.  When I try to rename the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / SolidWorks it says "The Registry Editor cannot rename SolidWorks.  Error while renaming key."  I don't believe that I have Admin rights, so that may have something to do with it...

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

You should not modify registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

If you rename or delete the "SolidWorks XXXX" key in  HKEY_CURRENT_USER then when SolidWorks starts it will look for "older" keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER to see if it should pull your settings from any older installations of SolidWorks.  If it finds no older registry keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then it will pull the setting values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Jeremy, in your case if you were to rename the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks" registry key, then it should grab all your settings (not just toolbar settings) from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  This would, in effect, give you "out of the box" values for everything.

If you were to rename the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks/SolidWorks 2010" registry key, then it should try to grab ALL your settings (not just toolbar settings) from any older versions of SolidWorks that you may ave run on your machine (ie: "SolidWorks 2009", etc.). If you have never run an older version of SW on your machine, then it would fall back to reading all values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE which would, in effect, give you "out of the box" values for everything.

Note - as usual we do not recommend manually modifying the registry, especially if you don't have a backup of the registry or are uncomfortable working with regedit.  Have you tried the "Reset" button in the Tools-Customize dialog?

Best Regards,,

John

Kelvin Lamport

If I were in that position, I would want to do a reformat and start from scratch with the OS and other programs. At a minimum, I would insist on doing a complete and clean uninstall and re-install of SW.

That may sound drastic and overboard, but if the toolbars are that screwed up, who knows what other 'enhancements' the previous owner has made.

Charles Culp

I'm with Kelvin; see if you can have the whole computer cleaned.

Here is the option to reset shortcuts and menus. Tools>Customize>Options

ResetToolbars.png