4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 12:14 PM by Pierre Amezcua

Drafting performance

Pierre Amezcua

What would be the best practices when drafting a large assembly?

I am currently drafting a pieces of furniture made of 300 parts and it take forever to rebuilt, refresh or save, even when in light mode and with 4 or 5 pages loaded only.

• Re: Drafting performance
          John Burrill

Can you give us more details?

What are your machine specs?

Are you loading the files from your local hard disk or the network?

What version of Solidworks

Are your drawing views 'shaded with edges'?

How many views do you have on your five sheets?

What does the furniture look like-is it Scandinavian or Louis XVI

Are the 300 parts simple fasteners or do you have clusters of grapes and mini busts of the Romanov's?

Pierre Amezcua

Hi John,

I have a brand new Dell precision T7500, running on windows 7, 64bits, 12G ram, Intel XEON CPU E5640 @2.67GHz.

Solidworks 2011 SP2

The assembly is mostly designed from top to bottom and it is made of several sub-assemblies (see attachment).

As you will see, the assemblies are made of simple mostly parts (wood panels)

The drawing file has 22 pages and the pages loaded have an average of 5 views. No shaded mode.

Thanks for your feed-back

Pierre

Chris Kamery

The one thing I see is that you have a few of the sub assemblies to to flexible. From my own experience I have felt the performance slow down a little when working with flexible assemblies. Maybe a few others here can weigh in on the significance of that. (I was also on an x32 machine at the time).

Are the files saved locally or on a network? That many files can run a bit slower across a network.

As for the drawing itself, 22 pages is a good amount. I can also see that as a reason for a bit slower performance. Is this your only drawing of this size or do others of this size perform the same?

Chris

Pierre Amezcua

Hi Chris,

The files are saved locally. Concerning the size of the drawing file, I have already done as many pages and more. In all cases, it has been slow and I have managed to work by loading few pages at a time and on light mode.

I guess that I am doing something wrong when I create the assemblies, but I don't know yet if I am asking too much from SW or if I am just making mistakes in the process. Probably a bit of the two.

I am under the impression that one of the main reasons of SW to be slow is mainly due to the in context creation of the parts.

It is possible to lock the "in context files"; would this reduce the time of calculation?