3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 8:15 PM by Jerry Steiger

Help with modeling a drill

Will Brett

Hi there. I am currently learning solidworks as i am a product design student at university. As one of my course requires me to model a power tool i decided that i wanted to model a simple hand held power drill. I am only starting to get to grips with surface modeling within solidworks and i am not to sure about how to approach this task.

I would be really greatful if someone out there would be able to help me get started with this. I want to model a drill similar to this http://electrical.appliances.harbourdirect.com/product/Black-amp-Decker-EPC12CA-GB-12V-Drill-Driver.html

at the moment i just want to model the outer casing as i think i will be ok with the internal components. I want to model the case in two halves with the ribs and all conector joints ( ican probably work this out myself or through youtube tutorials etc) The bit i really need help with is the surface modeling of the case. `How do i create the casing with all its complex curves and make it accurate to a drill i am using for the refrence?

Thank you so much in advance i know people on this forum have really helped me out in the past and i am truely greatful.

Will

• Re: Help with modeling a drill
          Jerry Steiger

Will,

Modeling a power drill is not for the weak of heart. I would start by breaking it down into areas with similar shapes. The main body section looks fairly cylindrical. The business end has conical shapes. The hand grip area may have several areas that break apart relatively easily. The trigger and the area around it are clearly different than the areas they connect with. The battery area looks vaguely rectangular. Figure out a way to model each of those areas. Once you get them in reasonable shape you can work on joining them together.

One of Ed Eaton's Curvy Stuff tutorials takes apart a bottle in a similar fashion. I suggest you downoad all of them:

http://www.dimontegroup.com/Tutorials/SolidWorks_Tutorials.htm

His latest SolidWorks World presentation, as well as two more by Charles Culp  and one by Mark Biasotti are here:

http://www.swtuts.com/?category_name=surfacing

When you've got more questions, which you probably will, ask in the Surfacing forum.

Jerry Steiger

Will Brett

Thanks Jerry...

I had a go just now and iv attached the file. Its far from perfec tbut for a first attempt it isnt bad. But how do i thicken it? It wont let me..

Thanks WIll

Jerry Steiger

Will,

The first problem was that you had an extra face in your Surface-Knit2, so you ended up with a lot of open edges and inconsistent face-face relations. (Tools/Check or Evaluate/Check) When I removed the face, I got a single surface with open edges only at the center. Unfortunately, it won't thicken either, neither inward nor outward. If you look at your radius of curvature or use zebra stripes, you can see that there are rapid changes near the edges of the back portion of the top and in the grip. I believe those cause your failure to thicken. You can play with offseting individual faces or groups of faces and see that the problems lie in the back of the top and the grip.

Jerry Steiger