5 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2006 6:37 PM by

.prt files to .dwg plug-in

Hi Ms. Wood, Thank you for your reply. When I use SW to open a .prt (2D) part, it gives me the attached pic.

Right now the only way I can view my .prt files is to open them up in CADKey, then use their converter to convert them to .dwg, then open them up in DWG Editor. This is ok, however; it is very time consuming and looses allot of details.

I appreciate any and all help you can give me.

Thank you,
      Henry
        • .prt files to .dwg plug-in
          Henry,

You may have better luck saving out of CadKey as a dxf then bringing the dxf into the DwgEditor.

What is your ultimate goal here? To model 3d parts in SolidWorks, or to convert all your 2d CadKey files to 2d dwg files? Are you looking to get rid of CadKey totally so you can keep your legacy data in a dwg format? Could you just keep your current version of CadKey without doing the maintenance contracts so you can open your legacy files.

I am not aware of a quicker way to do what you are doing unless you get a programmer involved to write some code to do a batch process. That will not solve the issue of data being lost in the translation process. Would a better choice be to just create pdf's of your legacy CadKey data?

Not sure what the answers are for you without knowing what you are trying to achieve with converting your data.

Anna Wood
          SW06 SP4.1, WinXP Pro SP2
          Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450
          Auer Precision Company, Inc.
            Hi Anna, Thank you for all of your help. I want to take the 2D CadKey files (.prt) and convert them to DWG Editor (.dwg). Now, this would not be a problem, however; new people own CadKey, and they will not give us the codes that are required to install our old CadKey seats on new machines. Also, CADKey changed the format of their software so new CADKey, will not recognize .prt files. So I am racing against the clock. We have already lost 1 seat of CADKey because of a harddrive crashing. We do have paper copies of all of our files, however I don't want to loose our electronic files. Right now, I've been redrawing our files. Even when I convert them using a CADKey utility, it still mumbles the files, enough to where they need redrawn.

I appreciate all of your attenion.

Sincerely,
            Henry
              Henry,

We went through the same thing about seven years ago. We had this old 286 machine that had a lot of our company drawings on it from the old custom CAD system we had. We did manage to get a great number translated to dxf before the computer died. We did lose some bits of data in the translation, just the nature of doing data translations. We had a very good paper record, so that was not to much of an issue for us other than time if we had to re-create a dwg.

At that time we also took the time to scan in and create pdf's of all of our product line drawings (stuff we sell to customers). We had a new web-based document management system that we loaded all our legacy and new data into. We keep those legacy documents as pdf's unless we need to revise the drawings. That way we are only working on the data conversion on an as needed basis. I expect we will have some documents that will never be re-drawn.

I have never used CadKey so I can't help you anymore in that regard. There was a thread on Eng-Tips.com about CadKey to SolidWorks translation recently. You may want to post your question there to see if that group of forum members has any ideas for you.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewth....cfm?qid=155563&page=2

Have a great weekend,

Anna Wood
              SW06 SP4.0 x64, WinXP x64
                Can you open up your .prt files in CadKey and do a Save As to a .dwg file?

It also appears that SolidWorks can read the CadKey files. Do a search in SolidWorks Help under CadKey.

Regards,

Anna Wood
                SW06 SP4.1, WinXP Pro SP2
                  We were users of CADkey 19 (.prt) software. We recently purchased SolidWorks and DWGEditor. We are now trying to figure out how to convert our old .prt files to .dwg files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
                  Henry