68 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 3:15 AM by Stijn Augustinus

File Size increasing to infinity

Brian James

I have a part that was 25 MB.  Each time the part is saved, with changes, the file size increases by 25 MB.  It is now over 500 MB and continuing to grow.  How do I fix the part file, and how do I prevent this?

• Re: File Size increasing to infinity
          Scott McFadden

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum.  What kind of part are we talking about?

Can you post it for us to look at?

Matthew Lorono

I'm suspecting that you are using SolidWorks 2007 SP2.1 or older (maybe even SolidWorks 2006) on an XP system?  If this is the case, MicroSoft had a bug that caused SolidWorks files to grow rapidly (double in size each time they were opened and saved).  If this is the case, then upgrade SolidWorks.

Matt Lorono

sw.fcsuper.com

SolidWorks Legion

Follow me on Twitter

Timothy Taby

Here is the reply I got from our VAR on the issue.

The root cause of this is the same as SPR 549188.  Inside these files – there are thousands of redundant and corrupt display entity objects.  This is the reason for the large file size.

This issue has been resolved in 2011 SP3.0 (released in next cpl of weeks)

SP3 will have a new RMB menu item for display states which says “remove all display states”  though this isn’t desired in most cases, in extreme cases like this, it is needed to purge out all the display information which is causing the problems. 
              Please see attached ZBRSL12_R.zip 
              Using the above new option and resaving in SP3 I was able to reduce “ZBRSL12_R.SLDPRT” from 181+ MB to 3.9 MB.

This message is from SolidWorks I did not attach the file since you have already redrawn it.

It appears there is an issue and it's getting fixed, or at least getting a work around.

Kelvin Lamport

I'm running SW2011-SP3EV but don't see the RMB Remove all Dispay States option.

Rick McWilliams

Why do these really troublesome bugs not get detected? It is not that hard to look at the part data file. First flush the crap, then compactly encode the features, sketches and relations. Add some display fluff and a 3d preview.  If it were encoded properly it would be 1200 times smaller.  This compact form could be readable by several versions of SW.

Yes I have a hot button regarding file sizes because Solidworks claimed that the larger file size increased performance. I believed it for years, until I looked at the file data. I regenerated a part and noticed that the first rebuild took no longer than subsequent rebuilds. I then calculated the data required to represent every feature, sketch, relation and property. SW files are 1200 : 1 fat to muscle. Some of that fat is gross bugs hidden in fat.

Wayne Matus

In the earliest days of SolidWorks, the model files were actually a macro file. The file size was very small back then, but opening the file actually would run the macro to reconstruct the model. Back then though SolidWorks only had simple extrusion feature, so reconstructing the model did not take that long.

Mike Lowinske

What I'd like to know is if they plan on fixing this in any of the other versions. Although I have the subscription service to receive new versions, and have 2011 sitting in my desk, I can't upgrade to it yet because of vendors I work closely with that are still running 2010.

Vajrang Parvate

A quick update on the issue: the root cause has been isolated and fixed in 2011 SP03 (released today). It was indeed a combination of using configurations and display states. There should be no more increases to file sizes after saving**.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to find a way to drop the filesize back down to the original level for the files that are already affected without either adversely affecting performance during file open or causing a data loss. Please use the steps to remove the display states to restore the original size of the file.

**When comparing the sizes of two files, please use the SaveAs command first on both the files before looking at their sizes in Windows Explorer.

Regards,

Vajrang.

Paul Marsman

Vajrang,

Thanks for the update.  Since you guys can't automatically perform the fix as you say, how do we know if we have a file with this problem?  The obvious increases are easy to identify, but if a file is going to have this problem, is it always obvious?  Is the ONLY way to find out if the file has the problem to remove all display states and then save?

Thanks,

Paul

Vajrang Parvate

Hi Paul,

We don't have a way to precisely identify such files (outside of debugging into the SolidWorks source code) yet, but we should be able to provide a method to at least heuristically identify files that may have this problem. I'll post it here if we are able to find such a method that is reliable for most cases.

Vajrang.

Filipe Venceslau

Hi Vajrang, this problem seems to persist in 2011 SP3 (win xp sp3).

I tried SaveAs, deleting all display states...unlinking...etc...but my file is still too big, and it take 30 seconds to save, when it usually take 4/5 seconds.

Regards,

Filipe

Brian Hoerner

Vajrang,

Ok, so far not real impressed with file size reduction, I have a 1+GB file, yes a single part file with NO configurations, and the  best I can do is get it to drop by maybe 30MB, not a great percentage of help as far as I am concerned.  to be more specific, 1,029,252KB down to 1,003,174KB.  I saved it out as a new part file as well, with no better results worth mentioning.

Saves that take 12-15 minutes on this part are way annoying as well, not to mention...ok, I will mention it.....when I select a sketch to edit, just a one line sketch, it takes most of 3 minutes until I can start to make any changes to that sketch, no worries though, this has been since SW2010

I have tried other files with either no changes in file sizes or very minimal.

This is using SW2011 SP4.0 (fresh install with testing only being done) on a W7 X64 box with 12GB ram, with dual xeon processors....

Any further thoughts??

Best,

Brian

Brian Lindahl

Vajrang and others seeing this issue:

Is the connection between configurations and file size related to independent configurations only, or is it equally related to files containing only derived configurations of a default (like <As Machined> and <As Welded>)?

Brian Hoerner and others seeing this issue without multiple configuration:

Are you defining multiple Display States in these documents before you see the issue rear its ugly head, or can the file contain only the default display state and no configurations?

Scott Bruins

Just want to add my name to the list of those having problems. Several files went from 3Mb to 52Mb to 99Mb ect...

Scott Bruins

I managed to reduce the file size of some of our customer parts by doing a "SaveAs" in a different location (with the same name) and the file size dropped from 90MB to 6MB. This hasn't worked for all the files that have excessivly large file size but it worked for some.

Note: It seems like there are two different issues going on. The files that were under 100MB were fixed when doing a "SaveAs" but the files that were much larger (200-300+MB) were not effected by doing a "SaveAs".

Edit: After opening up multiple configurations and saving the file size is increasing again. There are 30 configurations in the part and after opening 1 new configuration and saving the file size increases by 2MB. After all 30 configurations have been opened the file size is about 58MB, but if you do a "SaveAs" the file size is again reduced to 6MB.

Paul Marsman

Scott, that is expected for files with Configurations.  You are actually creating a set of files in one when you use configs, it isn't "really" one body that gets changed each time you move to a new configuration.  SolidWorks saves the body for each configuration that has been active in a document, but when you saveas you only have the one active configuration.  It then only needs to save that information, not the information for each config.  This is done so that when you are switching configurations it is faster, but to get this there is the tradeoff of larger files.  That's why you shouldn't have configs in a file that you don't need, it just increases the file size for no reason.

Scott Bruins

Unfortunately these parts need all the configurations so there is no way around that. It just strikes me as odd that SolidWorks wouldn't save just the active configuration body to keep the file size to a minimum.

Edit: This still does not explain a 300+MB model with only 1 configuration.

Paul Marsman

they do it so when you switch configurations you don't have to wait so long.  You can confirm this by switching from one to another and see how long it takes, now switch to the "saveas" version and switch to the other configuration... it will take longer!  Now if you save that new file after switching you will be able to get to that configuration faster, but your file size will be larger.

The problem with just saving the active config is what to do when you have an assembly you are saving that is using multiple configurations of a part at the same time... you have to save all of the active configurations.  So they just go the route of "if it has been activated, save the info for it!"  It really is a tradeoff directly for speed.

Mike Lowinske

I do notice that if an assembly has multiple configurations, and one of the configurations is less complex than another and it is saved while in that configuration, the file size will drop, though not necessarily by all that much.

Rusty Smith

I am having the same problem with a file.  It is a very simple sheet metal extrusion.  It started out as about 200k and each time it saves it increases in size.  It is now over 80meg.  I decided I can't wait for this file to keep autosaving...soooo i made a new file and it did the exact same thing.  Then I started deleting different holes etc and it still increased.  Now I am at the inititial profile and still gets bigger.  So I decided to take the profile and just extrude it as a simple extrusion (non sheet metal).  The file is less than 100k and and has not increased.

Peter Nichols

I have the same problem, file increasing from 15Mb up to 80Mb.

Sent this to my VAR who sent it to SW, here is their reply:

There is a problem at present where we are seeing bloated display state data in some parts.

This has been reported to our development team in SPR548472 and they are now trying to resolve this.

You will be notified when this issue has been resolved.

In the mean time if you encounter this kind of problem please try to delete the existing display states from the file. If the option 'link display states to configurations' is selected please uncheck this and delete all the display states. In SolidWorks 2011sp3 that is due for release soon there is an option that can be accessed from the RMB menu of the Display State section of the ConfigurationManager that will automatically delete all this data for you.

I have modified this file for you and attached it to the SR.

Unfortunately the workaround required that I remove the customers display state information from the part but they will be able to work with the part more easily now.

The file that was sent back is 10Mb! Incidentally I was not using any display states other than the default and unchecking 'link display states to configurations' made no difference. Looks like a regression in 2011.

Lets hope they publish a cure.

Ronan LE LOCH

Open your file with and archive tool like 7-zip.

You may see the folder ThirdPtyStore wiich take most of the size of the part. In this folder is  VisualStates__ZLB wich may be the issue. With the name we deduce that it is linked to Display State.

I have few files like that. There were about 150 to 300 MB and took more than 1.5GB in memory. I contacted my VAR he said to me that there is a new function in the new SP3.0EV that can suppress all display state including the only default one. SP3.0 may be released next week.

I installed SP3.0EV on a virtual computer (Virtual Box) to not change my production workstation and made the operation. You have to RMB in the area of the display states without RMB a display state. The files decraesed to about 6MB and few MB in memory. VisualStates__ZLB is few tens of Kb. I can work again with them correctly now.

Note: Ecosqueeze don't do anytthing. I noticed that impacted files are multi bodies with body pattern or symmetry. But perhaps other files are.

I think there are huge problems with configuration / display state / body / hierarchy in Solidworks. It is not robust at all. Always something easily going wrong.

Mike Lowinske

Hmm...never expected 7-zip to be able to do that.

Anyways...is there any particular thing that could be deleted when the archive (as 7z treats it) is open that 1. wouldn't screw up the file and 2. reduce the file size?

Ronan LE LOCH

I couln't help but tried on a copy a file. It doesn't work. 7-zip can only open the file. And I doubt Solidworks can repair a missing object like display state as it seems not really resilient.

You can open many files with archive program now. It seems that there is like a standard in serializing objects in files. Surely it has something to do with microsoft developpement tools and API.

You can do more with OpenDocument. You can remove, replace files like image with 7-zip. I use it for that sometimes. Perhaps it is the same with the Microsoft Open XML format. I don't know.

Timothy Taby

Archival tools will most likely not fix the problem, the problem is in the SolidWorks files themselves.  I posted the message above that I got from our VAR and it appears that the files have multiple redundant and corrupt display entity objects.  After using the new remove display states function in SP3 a 180+MB file shrunk down to 4MB, which is much more manageable.

Solidworks Ramuk

Hi Everyone,

It seems i am not alone after all.

I have a file of 87mb that used to be 7mb. I can not now open any drawings as my machine runs out of memory. i have been cursing my machine for weeks when it turns out that a file copied from another project and modified has grown to such a size that the drawings or assemblies will no longer open.

i am having to redraw the part which means a redraw of the drawings also as dimensions will not be able to find the original lines. most of the copied files from other projects have now increased in size dramatically (at least four fold) some more than others.

there seems to be no way to purge the files to remove old data. i copied and stripped the 87mb file down to nothing but the origin symbol and the file was still 81mb!!! that is with no configurations or display states.

Erik Anderson

The bad news:

I discoverd this bug starting in SW 10 and badgered my VAR about it endlessly. All my parts were getting so large that they were unuseable. My var gave several of my files to SolidWorks and after a month, they came back and said that it is indeed a problem with the display states. As the above poster said, you can delete the display states and it "may" help, but i've had no success with it. Also, once the parts get to a certain size, you can go conquer a small nation while you wait for this to complete. Tried one for 18 hours with no success.

The good news:

They finally put in the SPR and I received notice from SolidWorks about a month ago that it was fixed in SP 4.0. Therefore, I got the EV 4.0 up and going. I am happy to say that this seems to be fixed. My typical parts that were groing to 500mb are now hovering around 30 to 60 mb. The caveat is that this seems to be fixed with newly created parts, but I am not certain if it will impact older parts that have already bloated.

Good Luck!

James Moynagh

Erik,

Was just wonderng have you any update on how SP4.0 is preforming for you since you updated? By the way you mention you had 2010, have you upgraded to 2011 when you went to SP4.0?. I'm on 2011 SP3.0 and I'm having the same issue with file size. Currently working on a project where i'm on my 29th model, I'm using Pack and go to create the new model and looking at my file size, I've gone from file size's off about 1.5MB in the first few models to 19.0MB in my latest. Its taking ages now to do work on each model. You say it fixed the issue with new files, has it done anything for existing ones?

Matthew Odinotski

I dont know what is going on with Solidworks, but they still havent fixed this in SW2013 SP5.  The Var has absolutely no clue (they just want to collect the yearly fees and provide absolutely no service.  I tried calling Solidworks directly and I'm waiting for our regional sales manager to call back (I won't hold my breath).

Anyway, I have a simple part (with only 5 features) (Base extrude, chamfer, pin extrude, chamfer, lpattern), and now the file is over 1.5Gbytes.  If I save it to a different filename it drops to 30Mb.  This is really ridiculous!  Maybe in a couple more years the part will grow to 1Tbyte. 

This part is a simple library part.  The only thing we do is add configurations to this part (ie change 6 dimensions), and there are only 84 configurations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brian Hoerner

Just some insight based on feeback from SW through my VAR, not sure I am buying all of it, but testing will prove right or wrong or bluff:

"You probably won't see any file size reduction in any of the cases.  The reduction of file size that other customers are seeing is file specific corruption with some of the data.  We don't think that's happening with your files. The large file size that you are experiencing doesn't appear to be a bug related issue, just more on the nature of the file and how complex you make it.

From the last go around reviewing your files, this is what was said by the sw tech:

“why have file sizes not decreased significantly”

-The file size actually dropped in 2011 compared to 2010...although not as much as you would have liked
                                                                    -Explained that the extreme size of this file is caused by the partition data in this particular file.  The partition data is accounting for approx 855 MB out of 930 MB.
                                                                    -provided explanation as to why the partition grows in this model…. -> moving from surface to solid back to surface back to solid (using combines, delete face, and surface knit features, etc.)  will cause this problem.

Based on all of the above information, we do not think that you will see the sort of file size reduction that you are hoping for simply by upgrading to 2012.  The main problem seems to be related to the partition data (solid to surface to solid, sorts of things), so unless that is addressed directly (either by your team through modeling practices or by SolidWorks through programming changes), you probably won't see major changes in your file sizes."

Julliana Marinho

Hi...

I'm using SW11 SP2, and I got this problem with a part too. It started to increase from 4MB to 100MB with small changes

I modeled it again and I observed that it happens when you're working with design tables too.

Does anybody know if SW12 has the same bug?

Paul Labelle

I am having the same issue, filesize growing making system painfully slow. I am running SW2011 SP5.0 X64 windows 7. I do not hav the "Remove all Display States" option....what else can I try? I have saved as, saved as copy, and manually deleted all display states....saved 2 megs

Stijn Augustinus

I'm having these problems in 2012 SP5.

And there is no "remove all Display states" button..

it's an assembly growing after every save.

it went up to 1,15 GB, with a SaveAs it reduced to 140 mb but after 1 save it went back to 270 mb.

Saving takes 5 minutes, chingin configurations 3 minutes....