10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 1:42 PM by Mikail Santiaguel

Rollback State Error

Douglas Leach

I've been running into a problem ever since we've gotten SW11 (32bit XP). Occacionally when I'm working back and forth between a model and it's drawings I will go in and try to edit one of the sketches in the model. It will act like it' s going to let me edit the sketch, but it does not show the sketch. So I exit out of Edit Sketch and try it again and this time it works. But once I go back to the drawing it tells me that it's still in a rollback state and the drawing is inaccessable. I've tried re-editing the sketch. I 've tried rebuilding the model. I've tried closing the model. It doesn't help and it won't let me close the drawing. I end up saving everything else that I'm working and and then ending Solidworks with task manager. It doesn't happen all of the time and it seems to be able to happen with any model. I was hoping service packs 1 or 2 would help, but they've made no difference. Any ideas?

• Re: Rollback State Error
          Jerry Steiger

Douglas,

If you look in the "More like this" box to the right of your post, there is a thread titled  "one or more parts are in a rollback state. Drawing is inaccessable at this time." It looks like this problem has been around since at least 2006. At least some people were able to fix the issue by rolling the rollback bar to the top of the tree and back down. A ctrl-q might also help.

Jerry Steiger

Douglas Leach

All of the posts that I've seen have been related to assemblies. I've ran into that problem as well, but I'm not sure that this is the same issue. I may be wrong though.

Jerry Steiger

Douglas,

Right, I didn't spot that this was a part, not an assembly.

When weird stuff like this happens, my first response is to check the Windows Task Manager to see how much memory I'm using, how high the peak memory usage has gone, and how long my processors been running. If my memory (32 bit OS) is pushing 3 GB, my peak has been over 3 GB, or it's been a week or so since I rebooted, I figure that I probably need to reboot to clean up the system behavior. If none of those were true for you, then it seems like something more painful is going on, but I don't know what it is.

Jerry Steiger

Manny Machado

Has there been any solution found for this?

My situation seems related...

If I make changes to a model and have the drawing opened at the same time I get this rollback error message and can't get access the opened drawing, or close it. I use task manager close SW.

After I'm out I can reload SW and open the drawing and it loads the changes made on the model. Same deal with assemblies. Up until the 2011 update I had no problem.

Running Win XP, SW-PRO 2011 SP2.0

Douglas Leach

I have not found a solution for this.My cubical mate just had this problem as well. The only thing I could recomend to him is to try making the change in the model without having the drawing open.

Kelly Wright

Hi Douglas,

For what it's worth, my co-worker and I have been experiencing this exact issue, beginning with SW2010. We have only experienced it in part files so far.

There are approximatley (12) SW users where I work and as of last year, we each had our own seperate seat. However as of this year's install, we all ended up on a network license, and we still experience the same problem from time to time. We're using Windows Vista 64x as an OS and are currently on SP2.0 of SW2011.

I personally am going to keep what the other gentleman said in mind by trying to drag my history bar to the top of my tree and then back down to see if that helps. We've tried so many other things here that I've lost track. One more can't hurt.

Best of luck to us all .

Kelly Wright

Manny Machado

When all else fails start over!

I got mine to work.

I went into start menu / control panel / add or remove programs / solidworks 2011 sp02 / CHANGE

-Repair the individual installation (on this computer).

It went thru the install and is now working correctly.

My guess is some file got corrupted.

Anyway, Good Luck!

Erik Granstrom

I know this is an old thread, but I have had this problem before, and fixed it without killing SW (2010 x64 sp5) and without the ctrl+q/ctrl+s rollback. I think found where SW was getting mad: on a part converted to sheet metal, the material thickness did not change when I changed the sheet thickness value in the 'convert to sheet metal' feature. The part seemed fine, but the drawing thought the part was rolled back. So, I rolled my part back to the convert to sheet metal feature, then changed the sheet thickness, rebuilt, unrolled, rebuilt again. The material thickness had now changed in the part, an the drawing no longer thought it was rolled back! yessss

I'm not sure if others experiencing this problem were working with sheet metal parts/assemblies, but this worked for me when I was. I was really glad to not have to re-draw a drawing this morning!

Shelley Kerr

I just had the same problem.  I fixed it by saving the part that was rolled back in a file on my desktop.  I had built the part within the assembly so was an internal part.  After I saved the part, I was able to open the part and unroll it.  That fixed the problem.

Mikail Santiaguel

The solution has always been there. I've always had this problem and solve it by following what it's saying. It means that one of your part or asm is in a rolled back state. So you have to open the part itself and unroll it, then your drawing will fix itself. You have to make sure none of your parts or sub asm are in a rolled back state.