5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 8:06 PM by Richard Hallman

Computer performance for nonlinear analysis

Kaushik Korat

We have the below system for performing non-linear (solid-mesh) analysis. Currently it takes about 8 hours to 20 hours depending on the model. The final result folder is usually about. The computer is only used for simulation, no other software installed on the computer.

Just wanted to find out what improvements can I make to this system to get faster results. This system is only few months old.

At what point second computer/SW license makes sense.

Is anybody aware of SW simulation license leasing program. Currently we have a backlog of simulation that needs to be completed. We probably don't need two permanent full time license as there are times we hardly have any analysis.

Need to figure out some solution soon.

All advice is really appreciated.

Thank you,

-KK

Current system:

Dell T3500, Win 7 prof. 64 bit

Six Core Xeon W3680 3.33 GHz, 6 GB 1333 MHz ECC Memory

1GB ATI FirePro V4800, 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200 RPM hard drive

• Re: Computer performance for nonlinear analysis
          Richard Hallman

I would get two solid state drives, a small one (32-64 GB) for the page file and another 120GB+ for SW & Simulation analysis files.  Solid state drives (SSD's) are much faster.  If you only have only one hard drive, the read/write instructions from the programs gets interrupted by the system page file (virtual memory).  Solid state drie gave me the biggest performance boost for non-linear analysis than anything else.  They can cut the analysis time in half or more.  I keep my system, back-ups, and all other files on standard hard drives.  For even more speed, get two of the larger the SSD's and set them up as ingle RAID drive so it can read & write from both drives at the same time.

Don Vanzile

What type of geometries are you trying to simulate?  The reason I ask is depending on the type 2011 now has something called 2D analysis which greatly reduces the computational time as well as give you more accurate results if it can be done as such.  I've had FEA's go from taking hours to minutes with this type of analysis.

Don

Richard Hallman

Don has a good point.  Much of my nonlinear work has been done in 2D, in GeoStar using axisymmetric solid elements, doing elastic-plastic analysis high pressure equipment, and the SSD's made a huge difference.  What you need will depend on the type of nonlinear analysis and how many iterations it typically takes for each time step.   My models tend to be small, but highly nonlinear.