AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem with M6400 solved

Question asked by 1-4EQZK9 on Feb 21, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 by 1-4EQZK9

FYI - During one of my SWW presentations, 1 hour into my presentation, my Dell M6400 decided to just slow down to a crawl to the point that just clicking to the next PP slide or opening a small SW file took up to a minute - Arghh, very frustrating!!!  Ever since then the problem has been increasing steadily. I did a registry cleanup and defrag my drive, but to no avail. A couple days ago I was about ready to have IT wipe the machine clean and reinstall Win7x64, but I didn't have a good feeling about this because I really didn't believe that it was the OS or any of the software because I've been monitoring my Task manager performance and did not see any one process (or rouge) hogging my resources - it was just everything slowing down. I suspected that my laptop was overheating and clocking down the processor to an abnormally low Mhz. So I got a free utility off the web called " Tmonitor64.exe" This was a very helpful utility. I fired up PhotoView and did a "best" final rendering. A couple minutes into the final rendering, all 4 cores dropped down to about 600Mhz (from 2.6Ghz)  Also, you couldn't touch the back of the laptop and keep your hand on it, it was so hot!

So, we had the Dell tech come out and replace the fan and heat sink. - Sure enough, this was the problem and things are running fine now. I now remember last month, I had my laptop down in a friend's basement while using his table saw. The laptop got really dirty with saw dust, and I suspect not just on the outside.

Mark

Outcomes