8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 4:54 PM by Will Reynolds

Fill Surface Not Working

Will Reynolds

problem1.jpg

Hi, I have been struggling with this model for ages. It is a type of vacuum cleaner and I am trying to create a filled surface to connect the surface that I have already modeled. I have been trying to create a surface that will work but nothing will.

I am sure that I am asking the software to do something impossible, but I can't tell what it is. Is anybody able to tell me how to fix it? I also need the surfaces to thicken. Sometimes the surfaces don't thicken and I don't understand why

I should add that I have searched the forums already. All I really need is to understand what any error messages mean. Or if no error comes up as well.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

• Re: Fill Surface Not Working
          Brandon Yeager

I took a shot at it and it's not perfect, but I think this is the right direction.I would avoide a fill surface that has a long sharp pointed face like that. If you trim back the top surface and break it up into a few four sided boundary surfaces with maybe a five sided fill to finish it up, I think you'll have better geometry. I'm not sure what kind of tangency you're after. The surface tangency will always be dependant on the tangency of the boundary or guide curves.

Will Reynolds

Thanks Brandon, so for future reference long pointed shapes are not a good idea. I didn't think that it would be a problem, but I can see why the geometry would be better doing it the way that you have done.

Does anybody know the rules for why a surface will not thicken. It seems like it has a mind of it's own and I can't seem to find a resource on the internet that explains the reasons for a surface not thickening.

Thanks,

Will

Kevin De Smet

What thicken does is, it takes your surface and offsets it by the amount you input, trims and extends these so they join up, and then creates additional surfaces to bridge the gap that forms around the perimeter. At any one of these stages, a thicken can fail.

There's no simple fix! Try manually offsetting surfaces to the distance you want using Offset Surface to see which surfaces are having issues.

Brandon Yeager

Pointed surfaces may work in other cases, but in this one it causes small faces that are difficult to offset. The fill surface is good at filling non-4 sided boundaries, but as a rule it's best to work with four sided boundaries for the cleanest geometry.

Will Reynolds

This is what I was talking about with the surface not thickening.

I can offset the surfaces without error. But as soon as I try to thicken it brings up an error. It is really frustrating because the error message gives no detail as to why it cannot thicken.

I have added the file below. I'm guessing that it is a similar problem to the one that I had before, only I can't see how I can avoid using pointed surfaces.

I am trying to thicken the surface 2mm, it worked before. I can't understand why it isn't working now???

thicken not working2.jpg

thicken not working.jpg

Thanks,

Will

Will,

I rarely use thicken because it will produce undesireable results on the thickened edges (i.e. thickness edge will offset normal at all points along the thicken surface) and (also create boolean errors when trying to do what you're doing.) Instead, you should complete one-half of your shape and cap off the mirror plane with a planar surface, knit and make solid, or mirror knit and make solid. Then shell it instead of Thicken. Because of the planar remove faces of shell (I assume that this is molded and you'll have to divide it up) you should be more successful over Thicken.

Mark