6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 4:23 PM by Jesse Helms

convert a part dwg to ass'y dwg?

Bonnie Caruthers

I am probably just being hopeful...

I have a dwg of Part A all dimensioned

However, Part A is now an assy, which consists of it and two other parts (parts x&y) which are insert molded.  So it is Axy.asm

Because it is insert molded all the dims that are on the Part A dwg need to be on this assy dwg (then just adding what I need for parts x&y) and I am trying to avoid redimensioning the entire thing.  I tried bringing in the Axy ass'y views and relating the dims from the original views to the new ass'y views but it would not accept (I figured that would happen).  Is there any way I can use this part dwg and somehow convert it?  I know this is a lot to ask but I am guessing I am not the first who has ever needed this...

thanks (and hope that made sense!)

Bonnie

• Re: convert a part dwg to ass'y dwg?
          Kelvin Lamport

Can you activate the grid, and use the Snap To function to achieve alignment?

Bonnie Caruthers

Hi Kevin,

I get a message that says "Can't reattach dimensions across different views"  -which I think means views from different parts (in this case an assembly).  When I try to use a quick snap it finds the point on the new view but will not attach and I get that message.  I'd think that there would be some way to allow this but haven't found it yet so for now I have begun to re-dimension ;-/

Kelvin Lamport

Dimensions cannot be applied across views no matter whether they are of the same or different parts.

Can you post some images showing what you want to achieve?

Bonnie Caruthers

Hi Kevin,

Right, I didn't mean having one dim referencing two views at the same time. I have resorted to redimensioning the drawing, but in a nutshell...  You have a part drawing, bring in a view of a simple assembly consisting of just that part and 2 other parts.  I want to move the dims from the Part view to the Ass'y view and then save the drawing referencing the ass'y.  I do not think it is possible.

Scott McFadden

Bonnie,

If I understand you correctly, what I have done is if I have 2 dimensions

that have extension lines one over the top of the other, then I take the inside

one and stretch the extension line to the adjacent view and the out side dimension

goes to the mother view.  This way it looks as though the extension lines are

going from one view to the next.

Now forgive me if this has already been mentioned.  I just read the last couple of postings.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Jesse Helms

Bonnie,

Here is a suggestion:

Open Part A and select the "INSERT" command from the menu bar and then select part.

Browse for Part X and select "OPEN".

Insert Part comand dialog should appear. Select items of Part X you want to insert (solid bodies, planes, sketches, etc.) and make sure the "LAUNCH MOVE DIALOG" box is checked at the very bottom. Hit green check mark.

Use move command to move part (now a solid body) to appropriate position (works similiar to mating at an assy level)

Insert Part Y in same fashion.

Open Drawing of Part A and it should show the new x&y parts with in the view but dimensions should keep in there same location since its the same part with the same features.

Your Part A assy will technically be a multi body part but in most case (that ive used this method) it will work fine for your needs and it will update your drawing with out messing with your dimensions.

-Jesse