2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 10:39 PM by George Maddever

Author field

George Maddever

Hi All,

I'm busy setting up a new SOP for our data management, part of which is redoing all our drawing templates etc.

Now, I'm wanting to use the "Author" field in SolidWorks files, as referenced by "SW-Author" links to display who created a file.

Is there any way this field can be filled in automatically (like it is with an MS Office document)? Or is it a field that needs to be filled in manually or via macro?

In the past I've written a macro for each of our engineers and linked it to a hotkey so that with a single keystroke they can fill in all their personal data for the active SW document... however, humans being humans means that when it comes time to consolidate the data for a project you realise that this is filled in only half of the time.... is there any way I can tell SolidWorks to automatically populate the existing "Author / SW-Author" field on fil creation?

Thanks.

George.

• Re: Author field
          Rajat Jain

Goerge,

A simple method shall be to create an addin which inserts a task pane view. This view can have all the necessary information and a button to add these entries into the active model.

Another approach can be by simply overloading the Save event of ModelDoc and complete the operation. I think it will be good in Document Save rather than openDoc or NewDoc event but the choice s totally yours.

Hoep it helps!!!

Rajat Jain

• Re: Author field
              George Maddever

Thanks Rajat,

I'm already using a similar workaround, which works after a fashion, I was just hoping by now (the last time I reinvented our drawing system was several years ago) that SolidWorks would have come up with a fix for this.

I guess I should not fight it and just use the PDM "Author" and let that map to solidworks "Author".... In that respect it won't be who created the file, but who first checked it into the vault.... but in reality, this is more often than not the same person.... still, it'd be nice if the "SW-Author" property was actually of some use though!