8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2006 3:32 PM by

Offset a parallel line on a curved surface

You're welcome..

It's sad to note that the "Surface-Extend1" I show does NOT properly extend!
      Maybe SolidWorks Corp can actually consider looking into OVERHAULING and REWRITTING the core program so we can work with a PROFESSIONAL surfacing program??
        • Offset a parallel line on a curved surface
          It is more accurate than other options. Thank You.
            on 2006 27 13:15 Aaron Conner wrote:
            > Start a new sketch on plane1 (show your curve sketch) and use the offset command to
            > offset your original sketch and do the same thing you did before.
            >
            > I hope that is what you were looking for.

By doing the offset on a 2-d drawing, and then projecting onto a curved surface, that offset is no longer consistant around the perimeter of the reference curve (especially in the case of a mixed curvature surface).
              That's clever, but I don't think it does the job. Where the original surface has greater curvature, the distance along the surface will be greater. In fact, the curvature may be so tight that the original surface will not even reach the offset surface.

Dwight Livingston
              SW2006 SP3.1 / Adept 6.0 / XP Pro SP2
              2 gB ram / Quadro FX1100
                There is no direct feature that does this...here's a workaround that can give you what you want. Basically created a Ruled surface off the edge thats normal to the surface. Then Offset that surface....then select the offset surface and the main surface and do an intersection curve.

Jason
                SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 & 2007 SP1.1 on WinXp SP2
                UG NX 2.0.2.2 on Win2000 SP3
                  Maybe this is the workaround which you are looking for?
                    Start a new sketch on plane1 (show your curve sketch) and use the offset command to offset your original sketch and do the same thing you did before.

I hope that is what you were looking for.
                      Attached is a file that loosely approximates what is going on, except that this example is a spherical surface. It is the edge of the cutout that is the original curve and I would like create a curve offset on the same surface. In CATIA, the function would be called Parallel Curve. If anyone knows how to project a curve normal to the surface, that would be useful information too. Please assume that the actual part is not a constant curvature part, and that the geometry has been imported, so there is no parent planar sketch.

Thanks
                        This has been my current workaround, but as Dwight mentioned, due to the curvature of the original surface, the offset is entirely accurate and, in the case of variable curvature, consistant. I suppose what I needed to hear is that there is no direct feature. Because I am defining guide curves for a sweep, it may be necessary to define many cross sections and create curves through reference points for better accuracy.