20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 6:10 PM by Scott McFadden

pack & go with drawings

John Kreutzberger

SW 2011, sp2 -64 bit version. Why does pack &b go seem to hang when I ask it to also include drawing files? Am I just not waiting long enough. I have sat there watching for 15 minutes with no luck. Any clues? What I end up doing is saving without the drawings then copying them manually into the new folder after the fact, but would rather do all in one shot. These are moderate sized assemblies of mold designs.

• Re: pack & go with drawings
          Scott McFadden

John,

I am still using 2010 and if I do pack and go with one of my large assemblies

without adding the drawings it hangs up for a while.  I have never timed it,

but if I was to add the drawings I could see it hanging up for more then 15 minutes.

How large is your assembly that you are doing this to?

John Kreutzberger

This one has about 30 top-level parts then several sub-assy's with anywhere from 3 to 40 parts in each. 4 sheet drawing.Takes less than a minute to save without the drawings, but never seems to get there when I check the box for adding drawings. References do stay intact when I copy drawings manually, so I guess it makes sense to continue that way. Seems there is just another useles button on that screen.

Kelvin Lamport

Have the Task Manager open and watch the Performance tab after selecting the Include Drawings option. If it is not active, then the system is hanging. If it shows activity ... be patient and wait longer.

John Kreutzberger

Right again, Kelvin. Just turned 60 and I still haven't learned patience. I have a fellow here at the house doing some work and he was just showing up when I read the initial replies to my post. I hit the P&G button for including drawings and went to the door to greet him. Maybe 10 minutes later, I came back into my office and I was all set. I must have never waited long enough before. Thanks for the encouragement.

Scott McFadden

Try the pack and go in solidworks Explorer to see if it behaves any differently.

Or set this up just before you go home for the night and see in the morning

if it finished or is still working.  If it finished then you didn't wait long enough.

If it didn't then you have a different issue.

Paul Meydrech

I also have this problem Scott. From the drawing when I do a pack and go with one drawing it works fine. My drawing sets are 70-100+ sheets.

But when I add additional drawings it hangs forever.

One drawing set contains every part and assembly . I pack and go that particular set only,  and copy other the drawings in the set to the pack and go directly.  Seems to work fine for me.

I realize that this would not work if the one drawing set did not contain every part and assembly. 

Scott McFadden

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

Seems like this has been an issue for some time now.  Did you happen to look up the SPR to see if this has been addressed?

What version are you running?

I have never experienced this, but with that said I have never had extensive drawings like you are describing.

Troy Peterson

this may be your issue

SPR #:
                        Product:
                        Workgroup PDM
                        Closed (Implemented)
                        Fixed in:
                        2011 SP02
                        Area:
                        Workgroup PDM
                        Sub-Area:
                        Pack & Go
                        Customer Impact:
                        Medium
                        Summary:
                        Pack and Go doesn't include all drawings of component that doesn't exist in the same folder.

Pack and Go doesn't include all drawings of component that doesn't exist in the same folder.

Kelvin Lamport

How many drawings?

Single or multi-sheet?

I just timed a P&G with 104 single sheet drawings ... 4 mins 27 secs (3.2GHz CPU)

John Kreutzberger

the customer getting this file requires that they only recieve multi-sheet drawings. They do not want individual drawing files.

Hardie Johnson

Do you mean you set up one drawing file with many sheets, each of which might be a separate part? Odd . . .

Kelvin Lamport

It is not odd at all, in fact it is very common. I would guess that about half of all SW users use the multi-sheet option.

I used multi-sheet drawings for ten years, but have recently switched to single-sheet for a trial period. Both options have their pros and cons.

Jason Kerns

Not sure if you are seeing the same situation i am but i will put this out there.

I have noticed in pack and go if i hit the "flat view" option before i hit the "include drawings" option it takes an increbidly longer time than if i choose the "include drawings" first option then "flat view".

just from my experience...

Chris Zeien

I am working with an assembly with less then 30 parts and 21 drawings.  When I choose pack and go and check the include drawings box, my computer will sit there for nearly 4 miuntes.  A co-workers computer will never respond after checking include drawings.  Has anyone noticed this?  Is it just our computers or is this an issue with Solidworks 2011?  I very seldom use this feature, but I am testing it because of my co-workers problem.  thanks.

Chris

Kelvin Lamport

Per post #3 above;

I just timed a P&G with 104 single sheet drawings ... 4 mins 27 secs (3.2GHz CPU)
                                                    Jason Kerns

I have only noticed two scenerios on my computer and others where i work.

First scenerio!------ "Pack and Go" -> then press "Include drawings".  (nested view is my default setting)

7 assemblies, 40 parts 28 drawings = 28 Seconds

Second scenerio!--------"Pack and Go" -> then press "Flat View" (default on mine is nested view) then press "include drawings"

(same file)   7 assemblies, 40 parts 28 drawings = 8+ minutes!!!

When I use pack and go I leave nested view selected then i include all drawings then i can change it to flat view for renaming!

anyone else see a similar situation?

Hardie Johnson

Back in the 60s we drew* many parts of a machine on one sheet of D Size format paper, made a blueprint, cut that up and sent the pieces out to the shop. I guess the multisheet drawing file is the same principle.

*an ancient practice where pen or pencil was applied to paper sheets for purposes of vaugely defining a design.

Glenn Schroeder

I do multiple sheet drawings all the time.  I work at a testing facility for traffic safety so my drawings serve as construction drawings and are also included in the reports, so my first page shows the whole project and following pages go into increasingly more detail, from instructions for the construction crew down to individual part details.

Bao Dang

you could try Pack & Go by using SW Explore, let it run while you are doing something else in the SW model.

Bernie Daraz

I know, a late reply. Maybe the forum can fix the appearance of the old 'issues' in the list. Anyway....

Have you tried doing the pack and go from the drawing file? I do it that way all the time and never see any hangs, it actually seems quite fast.