2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 2:50 PM by Corey Vantilborg

Which EPDM Upgrade?

Barry Stump

We currently run SolidWorks 2010 SP 5.0 and EPDM 2010 SP 4.0 (Windows 7 x64).  Which upgrade do you recommend.

1. Upgrade EPDM only to 2010 SP 5.0
      2. Upgrade SW and EPDM to 2011 SP 2.0

We have some crash issue on EPDM 2010 SP 4.0 that are allegedly cured in SP 5.0.

• Re: Which EPDM Upgrade?
          Jason Capriotti

Depends on how many users you have. We have 500+ users so it's painfully to do any upgrade, service pack or version. We are on SolidWorks 2010 sp5 and ePDM 2010 sp3. No major issues so our next upgrade will be to 2011 for both, maybe around sp3 of 2011. It's hard for us due to the number of clients that need the upgrade....not easy upgrading 500+ users at roughly the same time.

If you don't have that many to worry about.....the service pack update might not be that big of deal for you. The server upgrade is fairly easy.

• Re: Which EPDM Upgrade?
              Corey Vantilborg
              It's hard for us due to the number of clients that need the upgrade....not easy upgrading 500+ users at roughly the same time.

This is a very important consideration when determine when to upgrade.

In my expierence upgrading is a way biggest hassle then the server. Not matter how I do it, I always get a significant percentage that end up requiring a full uninstall and re-install to upgrade correctly.

It is a real pain when there is a legitimate issue like the on in S-049535(which affects 2010 SP3.0) that there is no proper hot fix for.  Picking a good and stable release is important.

Corey Vantilborg

Tigercat Industries