9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2011 10:30 PM by Anna Wood

Changing line colors by feature in a drawing

Joe Perushek

Hi Guys -

I'm doing some detailing of a mold drawing.  I need to change individual features to different colors within a DRAWING VIEW (not in the part).  I need to be able to distinguish air routing with one color and water routing with another etc.  I know I can individually click lines within a view and change the colors, but is there a way to do a mass change on a series of holes or lines without selecting each individual item?

Any help is GREATLY appreicated.  I don't want to have to export to our 2d software to detail my drawing.  It sucks.

thanks

Joe

• Re: Changing line colors by feature in a drawing
          Damian Gillespie

Hi Joe,

In 2011 you are able to propagate the colour from a part to a drawing. If you change a part from the standard grey colour to blue then when you make/open your drawing you can have this colour for the lines of that part. This must be turned on in the options under Detail and check the box "Use model colour for HLR/HLV in drawing. See video for example.

Cheers

Damian

Joe Perushek

Hi Damien -

That is essentially what I want to do.  Can this be done in a part file versus an assembly file?  For example, I have a block (red) and a bunch of holes going through the block (blue).   In my drawing of the part, I want the block to be red and the holes blue.  In your example, it looked like you were changing the color of the part which then progated through to the assembly and then drawing.

I need individual features, within a part to be different colors on the drawing.  I tried doing a quick and dirty model and it seems like the drawing only picks up the "top level color" of the part and ignores the individual feature colors.  Am I missing something or is this a limitation of SW drawings...

Thank you very much for the help (and video).  Thanks to everyone else that responded too!

Joe

Ajay Dhiman

Hi Joe,

As Damien said In 2011 there is a option by which you can propagate the colour from a part to a drawing.try this..

Thanks

Deepak Gupta

Set Edge Color I had this macro to change edge color in selected view. Check this if it helps.

Charles Culp

Joe,

As far as I know, this can only be done with Parts and Bodies, not Features. So is each routing a different body? Can you make it that way?

Joe Perushek

Hi Charles -

This is a just a trial file I was playing with.  The red block would represent the mold block, and the various holes in the block represent different air, water routings.  I'm not sure how to create a hole as a separate body.  I don't think that is even possible is it?  It sounds like we are stuck doing color changes manually in a 2d package.  The 2d drawing gets pretty goobered up with features, so we change the colors of different features so assist with the CAM programming and build.

This is probably a good for a product enhancement request.

Joe

junk block.jpg

Jerry Steiger

Joe,

It is possible to make a body that fills your hole (make a body as big as your block, then use the Cavity function to subtract the block, leaving the hole(s)), but it's probably not a very good idea. Having feature colors come over to the drawing would be great for what you are doing, so it looks like enhancement request time.

Jerry Steiger

Anna Wood

Send your CAM guys the solid model files.  If they are using something that can open the native SolidWorks sldprt files they should get the colors in the solid and be able to tell what is what.

I do this type of thing in the solid models I create.  Blue for reamed holes and red for wire EDM work.  We use the latest release of Esprit, our programmers bring in the native SolidWorks file and get all the color coding so they know where the wired features are in the solid.

Get your tool makers a computer with eDrawings on it, then they can open up the models and query them to see how to build the molds.  Having 3D models as opposed to 2D line drawings will make their jobs easier.

FWIW,

Anna