4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 1:25 PM by Christina Seay

Local Vault View

Christina Seay

Ok... so after two years of having EPDM in-house... we're finally getting back around to setting it up and I'm trying to get my head back in the game.

I remember hearing at some point that it's not recommended to put Vault Views on a user's desktop... but I can't remember why or what the recommendation was on where to put it.

We're on Windows 7 now and installing the view for use by all users on the computer.

Can anyone shed some light on this one for me?

• Re: Local Vault View
          Jason Capriotti

Personally I would not put it on the desktop as the path to is long, not to mention it changes from user to user and it's different on Windows 7 versus Windows XP. Could affect SolidWorks and it's ability to find files.

Windows 7:

C:\Users\JCapriotti\Desktop

Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\JCapriotti\Desktop

I would put it at the root C: drive. That way it's easy for your users to find and browse to and the path will be the same for everyone. You can then create a shortcut to it on your desktop so it's easy to access from there as well.

Michael Dekoning

Welcome back Christina! I wondered what happened to you.

I think having a common file path for all users will help with SolidWorks file references as well. If you want to put a shortcut to the vault on the desktop, there's a procedure in the knowledge base telling you how. There's a particular way you need to create it.

Mike

EPDM 2010 SP2

Christina Seay

Thanks Michael!  We got sidetracked for a while here on implementing a new ERP system and we're just now getting back around to the EPDM implementation.  Actually I've got my work cut out for me.  We're actually doing new hardware, going from Win XP to 7, going from Office 2003 to 2010 AND switching to 3D modeling with SolidWorks and EPDM coming from a strictly 2D AutoCAD world.  This should get interesting.

I've got it set up on the C drive with a shortcut right now.  It seems to work fine.  I created a program ages ago to help make shortcuts on users desktops.  Then I can just tell them to run it and click a button and I get consisent shortcuts with the same name and icon on every user.  So it works good for me.