4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 10:18 PM by Anna Wood

Corrupt / Unstable Drawings

James Simko

I have been working w/ SW drawings for many years.  As of late, our drawings have been made from assemblies with components which are not native SW:  That is to say they are CATIA models brought into SW via step.  The components come into SW OK and pass the import diagnostic check OK.  The  components assemble easily to form a stable SW assembly file. (large in size however).

The Issue:

Drawings generated with these models are unstable.  They become hard to work with, especially with dimensioning and the addition of blocks.  More times than not, this activity results in a SW error "Not Responding."  If I am able to complete a drawing, the plot / print times rise to unreasonable levels going from a few seconds (processing within the workstation) to 18 mins!!!  We do not see this issue with drawings which largely come from native SW model data.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that these are non-native SW files.  After exhaustive experimentation, this is the only variable that exists between problem drawings and non-problem drawings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JS

• Re: Corrupt / Unstable Drawings
          Scott McFadden

James,

Have you tried exporting these models once brought into Solidworks back out as igs or parasolid

to see if theyt are reinserted back into Solidworks if it makes a difference?

Any chance feature works could be used on these models?

Or, try exporting them a different way out of Catia.  Maybe wireframe and surfaces?  Or with features?

James Simko

Thanks Scott:

The back in and out of solidworks via parasolid was no improvement.

Iges CATIA data worked better better than step for the SOLIDWORKS drawing issue.  However, the individual iges models used in the assembly had considerably more import issues .... gaps, missing faces, etc., than the "stepped" in components.  It appears to be a trade off between model quality and the ability to do an assembly drawing.

Anna Wood

James,

If you are doing that much importing of Catia models in SolidWorks I would try using the Catia to SolidWorks importers from www.sycode.com.  It is a bit pricey, but I think you will get a much cleaner import of the files.  You can go right from native catpart files into SolidWorks.

Sycode has trial versions of their software so you can give it a test drive.

Cheers,

Anna

Jerry Steiger

James,

What happens if you run the Check feature on the parts? I'm pretty sure I have seen imported parts that didn't show any errors on import diagnostics, but still failed when I checked them. I'm not sure why this would cause drawings to be unstable, but everything in SW seems to be connected to everything else, so you might be able to improve your drawings by fixing the parts, if that is possible. (As I recall, the parts that failed to check had General Faults and were either very difficult or impossible for me to fix.)

Jerry Steiger