4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 8:48 AM by Jack Wright

About Revit MEP, Revit Architecture and EPDM

Do Le Vu

I'm having problem

The revit architecutre user designs the building

The revit mep user design electrical system, piping system... inside this building

How can they work on the same file through EPDM?

When one check out file, the other can only open it as read-only

How can they use revit to link from one file to another?

Thanks very much.

• Re: About Revit MEP, Revit Architecture and EPDM
          Jeff Sweeney

Disclaimer: I have never used Revit, only read about it...so it is likely I don't know what I am talking about....but since no one has responded to this one yet, I'm going to take a shot at it....

I believe Revit wants to control the files it contains, thus I would be suprised if Revit would allow EPDM any real access to its files. Just as no other PDM system would be able to control the the files inside of EPDM.

Vineeth S.

Hi Do Le Vu,

To answer your question, designing an MEP structure in Revit is too complicated and take months depending upon the model. Some companies try exporting their model as IFC or SAT which has many disadvantages like you wont have the hierrarchy and data of model. To take your MEP model to Revit, the only option available in the market is BIMDeX which exports the SolidWorks model to Revit seamlessly as native Revit Project, You can write a mail to sales@bim-dex.com mentioning your requirement

Jack Wright

They can't!! What you have to remember is that Revit works differently to Solidworks. You have a central file then users create copies of that file and save them onto their desktops or in an appropriate location. Once work is completed from the users, each local copy is then synchronized back to the original central file. In this case ideally each user should make a copy of the central file stored within EPDM and use the sync function in their local copy to populate the Central Revit file with their changes. Main rule to remember.."The Central File should not be opened and edited by any user once created". If the Central File is checked in within EPDM then it is then technically seen as a read only file by all, therefore if you create a copy and try to edit the local file it will think that the Central is in use and not let you edit the model or sync back... "hence the read only error message appearing!" If the design consultants want to collaborate stay away from using Revit Files within EPDM, keep them on a separate storage system... you could maybe upload a copy of the Central File at a certain design stage into EPDM as a reference for everyone but again this cannot then be worked on collaboratively.

Jack Wright

Also like Vineeth S mentions... For Revit IFC is the general file format used to export/import models and data between different disciplines in order to co-ordinate and handle clash detection.

I was thinking maybe each discipline works locally then exports and .ifc from their local copy, checks out the main copy in EPDM and imports that .ifc file. Then checks back into the vault and notifies the design team that they have updated the main central model. The next discipline could then do the same procedure of:

1. Save locally on desktop a copy of Central Revit File stored inside EPDM.

2. Undergo model updates locally.

3. Export .ifc from local Revit file.

4. Check out the Revit Central File inside EPDM.

3. Import .ifc create from local with new updates of model.

4. Save and Check Revit Central File back into the vault notifying the design team of changes. 

If you are trying to convert Solidworks models to Revit try this method..

1. Save you Solidworks file in .stp format

2. Import this .stp into AutoCAD

3. Save the AutoCAD file as a .dwg

4. Open a blank Revit Template (Family Template if it is a part, Project Template if its an assembly)

5. Import the .dwg into the chosen blank template.

6. Z axis is up in Revit so may need to unpin the model and Rotate in Revit before use.