AnsweredAssumed Answered

Huge stress at face boundary

Question asked by Christopher Thorn on Feb 9, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2011 by Jerry Steiger

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm trying to simulate what happens to a flat steel blade clamped between two steel discs when a "centrifugal load" is applied to it.

I've [badly] sketched out the rotor blade and how it is clamped between the rotor discs.

scan.jpg

The only model used in the simulation is the rotor blade. I am trying to simulate the centripetal force on the blade by making face 1 and face 2 fixed geometry. I have added an axis in the correct location and I am using this to define a rotation of the blade of 1200rpm.

Whilst the simulation completes without errors, the highest stress concentration is at the tangent edge (indicated top right) between face 1 and the cylindrical face of the small cut out.

Firstly, does it sound like I am correctly defining the restraints and forces in the simulation?

Secondly, if everything sounds correct, is there any way to get rid of the massive stress concentration along the tangent edge? I have seen figures in excess of the yield stress of the material. I find it hard to accept that the stress in that location would be so high.

Thanks again for your help,

Chris

Attachments

Outcomes