AnsweredAssumed Answered

Reaction forces - Force parallel to surface even with no friction

Question asked by John Ward on Feb 8, 2011
Latest reply on May 4, 2011 by John Ward

Hi,

I a modelling a part with a number of contact sets.  One contact set is between two flat plates.  In the definition of the contact set I have left the friction box unticked, ie. no friction.  I have also left the global friction box unticked in the studies properties.

When I run the analysis and check the Result Force between the two surfaces I get a compression force normal to the two faces, which is what I would expect.  However I also get a force parallel to the surfaces.  To me this indicates that a horizontal load is being transferred between two horizontal flat plates (with no friction) which is not possible.  The deflection of the plates is not great enough to produce any significant horizontal force from the vertical component.

One reason for this that I have just thought of is that in a single contact set I have selected 4 different sets of surfaces that are in contact in different parts of the model.  The sets are all the same but should I have split this up into 4 seperate contact sets?

One more question that I would be grateful for a tip on...  I am trying to verify my simulation against hand calculations that I have done on the part that I am analyzing.  One way in which I would like to do this is to take a section through part of my model (through a single plate) and get the net force transferred through that section.  Is there any way to do this?  One way would be to make two parts that join at that particular section but that is not practical because I want to check the net force in a number of different locations in the model.

Thanks for you help.

Regards,

Jonathan

Outcomes