11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 12:20 PM by Brian Walter

Problem with meshing

Brian Walter

Hello,

My FSAE team is using Solidworks 2010 Student Edition.  Most of our installations crash when you try to mesh any object.  I've tried relocating the results folder and using SolidWorks RX to delete temporary files (both solutions to a very similar appearing bug in SW 2009) but these did not change anything.  Also, uninstalling and reinstalling SolidWorks does not fix the problem, once an installation is broken, I have to reimage the computer to get it to mesh again :/  At least two people have experienced the exact same problem on their personal computers.  Any suggestions?

Brian Walter

• Re: Problem with meshing
          Anna Wood

What are your computer specs?  x32 or x64 bit operating systems?

Anthony Botting

HI Brian: I recall a similar problem with one of our customers on Win 7, x64. We had to physically move the data sets very close to the root, i.e., create a work directory at the top of C:\ drive, and relocate the model and Simulation results paths to that directory (check the "results" paths in Simulation/Options). That solved it for one of our customers who reported the same problem. Please comment if that works for you. I am fairly certain it's a known problem, but it occurs infrequently. - Tony

Bill McEachern

This is weird.  I have an assembly that I did a bunch of work on on a Win7 64 bit OS. I moved all the files over to a XP64 machine and ran one study on 2011 sp0 on the XP 64 machine. Had some issues dragging a load from one study to a new study - got around that by finally activating the study and dragging and dropping to the new study. Dragging and dropping or cut and paste caused a crash if the study wasn't activated. Now the mesher crashes every time I try to mesh. I have tried both meshers and no joy. 

On a completely different issue check out the attached image. I have no idea whether the force actually gets applied like this or not as it is a bit tricky to tell from an analysis result without some work. This occurs whether a pressure or a force is used. Anybody seen this type of thing before?

On another note, has anyone else in 2011 - any OS, any SP, noticed how long the standard mesher takes in shell and beam problems? I just tried it at much reduced setting - defualt mesh density - for the problem in the picture ( 60 or so beams not shown - in my view not terribly complex). It ran for exactly 11 min - not 11 min & 1 sec but at exactly 11 min the green bar shows up and says it is beam meshing. It got about 70% complete by about 11 min 35 sec before it crashed. This model worked fine on Win 7. Go figure.

Steve Fisher

Bill,

On your completely different issue:

I was working on a complex analysis with 2010 and had no issues, then I upgraded to 2011 after SP1 came out and found the same thing.  My once nice and easy to see forces and pressures are now jumbled.  Same thing in back in SW2010 and it works fine.  If I switch down to one monitor it seems to help, as I'm using an FX3800M graphics card that is unhappy with the 2 monitors.

Also, the mesher does seem to be more prone to crashing and it takes at least 2x longer than it did in SW2010.  No answers, just feeling your pain.

Joe Lutz

As Anthony mentioned, make sure the file path is as small as possible (c:\simfolder\sim.sldprt). If the file path is too long (@ your desktop for example) the mesher will fail every time. It's probably good practice to always keep the file path as small as possible.

Brian Walter

Sorry for the delay.  I've tried putting all of the files in the root of the hard disk.  It makes no difference.  I wonder if applying a service pack might help?  I'm not sure how to go about getting one since we only have the academic edition.