7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 8:06 PM by Paul Kellner

cosmosm windows 7 64-bit installation

Richard Grover

I got a new pc (windows 7 64-bit).  I've used cosmos on my 32-bit xp pc for years.  When I install it on my new machine, it fails to completely open with a license check error.  It works fine in demo mode so I think it should work on this new wywtem.  Where can I get some assistance to install my stand alone version of cosmos/m?

• Re: cosmosm windows 7 64-bit installation
          Anthony Botting

Hi Ricard: I know your VAR is supposed to assist you to resolve issues like this. Is your previous 32-bit stand-alone version dependent on a text-type license file or dongle licensing? If so, I'm fairly certain you will  need some special assistance from your VAR to get it to work (some hacks to the registry, a special dongle driver for Windows 7 and perhaps Environment Variable changes are likely required). I know the latest COSMOSM licensing scheme is entirely different, in that, it uses the "activation-based" licensing scheme that SW Corp has implemented. I hope that helps, if a little. -Tony

Richard Grover

I contacted SW Corp licensing and they are not interested in helping with an old dongle based license.  So I guess either have to find a way my self, or keep an old pc around with a compatible operating sysem.

Anthony Botting

Hi Ricard:
                  They are supposed to help if you are current on subscription (no-matter the version). However, I did help a customer with a similar issue a while back and we got it to run. If you can stand by until Monday pm, I will research the issue and settings we used, and get that information to you. -Tony

Richard Grover

I would appreciate it very much if you would, at your convenience.  I'll be watching for your info.  A doubt that I am the only one with this problem and as time goes on and more people upgrade systems, there will be more.

Anthony Botting

Hi Ricard:
                          Here's what I found. Customer wanted to install COSMOS/M 2007 on a Win 7 x64 box. We actually had two issues. 1. Customer had a dongle and needed a new text file license to install it on the new machine, and 2. Customer had many versions of SW Sim, DesignSTAR, COSMOS/M installed, evaluations of SW and more, which mucked-up the attempted installation of COSMOSM 2007, caused it to refuse to install.

We fixed 1. by creating an affidavit to SW Corp (done through your VAR) to certify de-installation of the software from the originally licensed computer. Customer had to be current on subscription maintenance in order to get SW Corp to issue a new license for the MAC address of the new machine.

2. Other software was 'confusing' the older COSMOSM installation (registry pointers, environment variables, and multiple license file paths). We had to uninstall every piece of DesignSTAR, COSMOS/M, GeoSTAR and SW we could find, clean-out the registries of all traces of these programs, and reboot.

So the first step for you would be to ask your VAR to start the process of certifying uninstallation from the old computer. They need to obtain a form and send it to you, which you have to sign as affidavit, and send back to them.  I hope this helps. -Tony