5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2011 1:41 PM by Jerry Steiger

Solidworks seems to crash way to often in simulation

Lee Macklem

I have been using SolidWorks Simulation for quite some time now and continue to be frustrated.

The following is my computer configuration:  Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core i7, 16 GB of memory, Solidworks Professional 2010 x64 Edition, SP5.0 (with Simulation).

Solidworks wants to restart too often.  It does this at least once an hour when doing simulation work which currently are static load simulations.  It is not only when running the simulation but will also happen when flipping between windows.  I am using an assembly with around 35 components but that does not seem to be why as I have the same issue when using smaller subassemblies.  There have been times when I will make changes to parts then save the assembly and tell it to save all parts and later when it crashes the parts will be back to where they were before I saved them.  This has even happened when I tell SW to restart and restore the files.  For some reason SW does not always store the parts when it says it does or when restoring it pulls up old temp files.

This issue costs a lot of time and money, and I don't believe there is a "work around" for this and please don't tell me 2011 will run better than 2010 because that has never been the case with SW.  They always say the new version runs better but they never point out you need to purchase the latest computer on the market to get an increase in performance.  I have never used a piece of software that crashes so much, I still use ProE on a regular basis and it does not crash like this.

Is this common for other users, is there something othere people are doing to prevent this?

• Re: Solidworks seems to crash way to often in simulation
          Bill McEachern

I do nothing but simulation in SWX. I went a whole week without a crash in 2011 sp0 on Win7 64. In fact I didn't get a crash till I went to SP1. I couldn't go two hours in 2010. Even if you didn't want to hear it. In my view 2007 was as good as it has been since like 2002 or 2001, 2008 was brutal, 2009 a bit better but not much & 2010 got worse as it went along - it drove me nuts so I moved to 2011 and was pleasantly surprised for a change. It still crashes but way less often and mostly when adding a configuration or cloning a flow project after working on things for quite some time - fire it back up and it works fine if the clone is made right away. Still get the white screen of hope a fair bit but it seems to come around with a little patience. Scuttlebutt is that if you use the upgrade from sp to sp trouble ensues. Supposedly uninstall and a full install is suppose to work better - but the work in that is too onerous for me. Oh, and turn off all the add in's except the ones you need - particularly tool box and any of the pdm stuff.  Also I do not run with restore or auto recover (whatever it is called) or the save version thing enabled - nothing but trouble for me.

Don't take this as all your dreams will come true in 2011. My experience has been much better though.

Lee Macklem

Thanks for the response.  I did remove all add ins and that seemed to help some but I am going to install 2011 and see how that works.

Thanks again,

Lee

Bill McEachern

Well, all of a sudden on the same model I worked on before I seem to be having severe problems with meshing. the new default mesher is the curvature mesher and it fails to sew shells together very well even if they have common edge lengths. The standard mesher sews thigns up nicely but crashes if I put on a mesh control (not definitive) and/or I mesh with an element size below the min on the slider bar. I haven't nailed it down exactly but the same model withthe same release meshed fine in previous studies. All I did was duplicate add a couple small surfaces and now boom. So, it worked well for awhile. the support guys reported they are getting lots of meshing issues in 2011. Also the standard mesher goes through this 16 minute loop of apparently doing nothing before it successfully meshes the model. That is a touch annoying (and yes the auto align shells is turned off). So don't get your expectations up to high.

Anthony Botting

Lee: I concur with Bill and have experienced nearly identical results as he, with regard to 2010 and 2011 stability on Win 7 x64 edition. Like Bill, I turn-off every single add-in and any other program I can find on the system, and the Sim 2011 runs more "cleanly" with fewer problems than otherwise. Just thought you'd like to know. -Tony

Jerry Steiger

Lee,

Since your hardware looks pretty good, all I can say is that some people crash a lot more often than other people. This is not just a Simulation issue, as it happens to people who never run Simulation. Matt Lombard has gotten a reputation for arrogance because he has pointed out to a number of people that it must be something different about their situation if other people don't have the same problems. I don't have any answers for you, but I can tell you that we have gone through periods where we crashed many times a day and now crashes are fairly rare, say weekly or monthly. I wish I could tell you what changed, but I really don't know. I think 2010 is much better than 2008, but I don't know about 2011. It wasn't hardware, as I've had the same hardware for three or four years now. If you search the forums on "Crash" you will find an incredible number of hits. Perhaps there is an answer for you buried in there.

Jerry Steiger