2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 10:37 AM by Howard Dexter

Paste as reference push variable values

Mike Yesesky

Is there a way to push variable values through a paste as reference?

Let me give you a short description of our process to help:

Once a drawing is approved by a peer review process the draftsman or engineer will create a ECN (engineering change notice) document.  They will then attach the affected drawing as a reference to the ECN.  They will then fill out a data card that pushes information to the ECN document.  They fill out one tab releated to ECN changes and a second tab related to information about the drawing (part number, descriptions, weight, etc.).  We add this information to the card so our final approvers will not have to open the drawing to get the information about the part. 

What we would like is that once the person attahces the drawing as a reference can enterprise send through that created link certain values for variables that are on both cards?  This would be a big time saver for us since currently the enginneer/draftsman has to copy/paste the information onto the ECN data card.      

Thanks for any input

• Re: Paste as reference push variable values
          Lee CS Young

It's certainly possible with the API...

• Re: Paste as reference push variable values
            Howard Dexter

Mike, I think I'm working on the same thing and have the same setup as you so far.  That is, an ECN card with change info on tab one linked to an MS Office form.

I'll also use Paste as Reference. I'm not really seeking to list those affected documents in the ECO card, though.  They are already just one click away on the Bill of Materials tab for the change document. Like you, I'm not interested in having it copied or retyped to the card from another source, and the BOM tab should display a pretty complete list of the affected item properties we need.

On the other hand, what I do want is to display that same BOM on the ECN document itself.  I want to be able to associate change-type (fix, release, improvement, etc.) information and "from-to" revision info with each item (it doesn't have to be linked).  In our case, the change form (not the data card) has to be preserved as a complete record of the change.

I hope that helps you out a little, and maybe you or someone else has a tip for getting BOM into the Office document?

Thanks,

Howard