AnsweredAssumed Answered

Configurations vs Display State

Question asked by Jody Wilkerson on Feb 2, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 by Jody Wilkerson

Hi All,

I have a trailer design that has approximately 100-150 parts and sub-assemblies and I am trying to configure our model to cover all of the different options that we can sell it with.  My problem is I now have 18 configurations with a couple more to add and the file size is 19M.  It appears that each new configuration adds about 1M to the file size.  I have had issues with SW crashing when I try switch configurations or just look at the screen wrong.  I am concerned that the file is getting too big.  I have 12G of RAM but the other users here only have 6G.

I have also set up 4 display states for the fender options so I can turn them show or hide them no matter what configuration I am in.

I guess my real question is "Is it better to set-up different configurations for the different options or just show or hide them with display states?"

I am just getting back into SolidWorks after going to the "Dark Side" of ProE last year with my old job.  I am glad to be back in the light of SolidWorks but I never used configurations that much and only for toolbox parts not in assemblies.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

Jody

Outcomes