13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 10:33 AM by Mikkel Toftlokke

Part converts to toolbox component

Tim R

Hi,

Was just through something pretty frustrating and am wondering if there is a way to prevent this without disabling the toolbox add in - in the "Add-ins...." menu.  We do not use the toolbox fasteners,except for the intial creation of the bolt/nut/washer.  We then give it one of our part numbers and update it's status to toolbox part "No". and check it in.   On loading a couple assemblies recently and on being updated to SW 2011 SP1, with tool box loaded, Solidworks loads a toolbox part instead of our standard part/fasteners??  Why does Solidworks do this when the tag is not "toolbox"??  That was really frustrating, since the nuts were part of a linkage that threw the assembly into red status.

Tim

• Re: Part converts to toolbox component
          Matt Rohr

I haven't experienced a Toolbox part changing state from Not-Toolbox to Toolbox but I am wondering how you're changing the status initially?

If you mean you're setting the "IsFastener" property to No that doesn't remove the Toolbox tag.

There is a utility called sldsetdocprop.exe that will do the trick.

It is buried in the install directory - C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks\Toolbox\data utilities (by default)

Hope this helps.

Tim R

Matt,

The part isn't changing state.. the part is being replaced by the toolbox part.  I use the sldsetdocprop.exe to set the "Toolbox part = No" state which makes me question if it really removes the toolbox state.  Since how would the toolbox know to replace those two nuts if they aren't toolbox = copied or some other toolbox status?

Tim

Scott McFadden

Tim,

I totally get your frustration.  It sounds like you and I are on the same page when it

comes to toolbox.

I have a few questions.

• When you started with the toolbox part did you call it up and

do a save as copy?

• When you checked this in with your assembly did how did it look in teh vault?  Meaning did it look like a conventional part or a toolbox part?
                Mikkel Toftlokke

Hi,

So did anyone find a way to reverse this process of exchanging parts? I mean, that if accidentally you save your assembly after it changing the component to a toolbox location component, will it be possible to run a a special "open" process that will force the assembly to look in our own "purchased components" library, and open the toolbox related file from there? If it can do it the other way around, it should be possible to reverse it? This will help us in not having to open every single assembly we have, and replace components. And risk doing this again sometime down the road when updating solidworks to a new revision.

Kind regards,

Mikkel