6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2011 6:31 PM by Rita Kanow

Before implimenting Ent PDM, think about....

Rita Kanow

Hello,

We are at the beginning stage of getting Enterprise PDM if it goes through.  Our file structure is a mess & we are finally rethinking where to go with it.  Right now files are saved in folders according to part and assembly numbers.  Our Server Tool Box is structured more by type of parts.  We are thinking of going toward project base structure.  What are some things we should be asking ourselves, our SW techs or things we should keep in mind?

What are some best practices, things to avoid doing, any ideas you might recommend?

We have some products that are standard, many become specials according to what the customers want.  Configurations are used often.  We have some structure parts used on multiple models.

Thank you in advance,

Rita

• Re: Before implimenting Ent PDM, think about....
          Corey Vantilborg

Rita,

I am a huge fan of storing files in Enterprise by filenumber. (Example 36581B.sldprt stored in folder 36000B)

I have several reasons for this:

1)Speed, by limiting the number of files(because you are limited by part number) per folder you can ensure that no single folder groups to an unreasonable size.  Any folder with more then 2000 parts will suffer from poor performance in Windows.

2)Its easy to find files this way, you always know exactly which folder to look in for a particular files.  THis makes fixing references easy.

3)Its makes finding files programatically much easier.  If you get into using the API, then you can find files based on the storage schema instead of having to create search inferfaces and find the file.  This makes writing almost any Vault app significantly easier.

We did not do this, we implemented EPDM with files by project.  It makes it very hard to find files manually(because lots of files are used in more then one project). Normally you don't need to do this, but if your fixing references you do.

My final piece of advice is do NOT share any solidworks files. It will cause frustration later.  I can elaborate on this but seriously just don't do it.

Regards,

Corey Vantilborg

Tigercat Industries