3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 12:14 PM by Dan Cook

Volume Sources in Conjugate Heat Transfer

Dan Cook

Is it the case that you can only add volume heat sources to individual parts in an assembly? If so,

why is this?

I've tried to add heat sources to an individual feature (Boss-Extrude) within an individual part file but

it refuses to be selected.

• Re: Volume Sources in Conjugate Heat Transfer
          Chris Michalski

Dan -

volume sources can't be defined based on a feature because it is joined to the rest of the part and therefore constitutes one contiguous volume that the source would be applied to.

You add the volume source to a complete part (or potentially body, i've never simulated a multi-body part to know but it seems reasonable that it should let you select a body just like a part).

And to the letter of your first question yes - in an assembly with sub-assemblies you have to dig into the sub-assembly to the part level to select parts to apply the properties, it will not let you select an assembly and perpetuate it to parts.  (at least not in pre-2009 releases)

Loic Ancian

Flow simulation works with bodies.

When you extrude something make sure the option "merge bodies" is not checked. You will be able to select it as a separate body.

Loic

Dan Cook

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses. What you say makes perfect sense, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something foolish.