6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 11:13 AM by Dean Baragar

Default Drawing Properties

Joseph Lord

Hi,

I am trying to add custom and default properties to our part templates, which can then be read through to the drawings using 'link to property'. From what I remember, when you go to file>properties, there was already a list of default properties to choose from, such as:

SW-Author (Author)

SW-File Name (Filename)

These properties do appear on the drop down list of 'link to property', but I can't see these in the part properties. Im sure they were there before. I don't mind creating custom properties, but I would like to use default ones like SW-Filename, as this is the part number of our components. It seems wrong for me to create this as a custom property and have to manually fill in the part number.

• Re: Default Drawing Properties
          Dean Baragar

If you are trying to do what I think you are, the best solution is the create a custom property tab (Start>Solidworks>Solidworks Tools>Property Tab Builder)

In my custom property tab I have included a number of text boxes to add information such as description, project, author, ect. and I am able to pull this information over into the drawing template with commands such as:

$PRPSHEET:{Description}

$PRPSHEET:{Project}

$PRPSHEET:{DrawnBy}

See the images I have attached. I could attach the property tab file if you like.

Joseph Lord

Hi Dean,

Thanks for that, I have taken a look and will have a play with it. I created a text box and have applied attributes, but I would have expected to see the drop down lists I can see here (under Name and Value) on the File>Properties diolouge box.

Dean Baragar

When you insert a text box into the property tab builder the options for the text box that can be filled in are:

Caption

Name

Type

Value

Name is the most important...this will be what stores any value you may want to enter in. According to SW the drop down list should be populated...but for some reason mine isn't. Irregardless you can type the value in that you want. They are:

Description
                  PartNo
                  Number
                  Revision
                  Material
                  Weight
                  Finish
                  StockSize
                  UnitOfMeasure
                  Cost
                  MakeOrBuy
                  LeadTime
                  CheckedBy
                  CheckedDate
                  DrawnBy
                  DrawnDate
                  EngineeringApproval
                  EngAppDate
                  ManufacturingApproval
                  MfgAppDate
                  QAApproval
                  QAAppDate
                  Vendor
                  VendorNo
                  Client
                  Project
                  Status
                  DateCompleted
                  CompanyName
                  Department
                  Division
                  Group
                  Author
                  Owner
                  Source
                  IsFastener
                  RouteOnDrop
                  SW-Part Number
                  DoNotSpin
                  To break this down, I wanted to attach the author's name to the file.
                  I added a text box in, in the property tab builder, selected text as the input type, and DrawnBy in as the name.
                  I left the value blank as this is what will be filled out when you are in the part document.
                  Now you would save the custom property tab and go to SW.
                  Navigate to Tool>Options>File Locations>Custom Property Tab>Browse for the file you just saved.
                  The next thing you want to make sure of, is the task pane tool bar is visible.
                  Ensuring you have a part open there will be a tab on the task pane for custom properties.
                  It will have a text box with whatever caption you gave to it. Enter your name. Save the part.
                  Next edit your drawing template and add text box in with this text: $PRPSHEET:{DrawnBy}
                  Save the template.
                  Make a drawing with your part in this template. This should display the author.
                  If you want to display the file name (or your part number more or less) type $PRPSHEET:{SW-File Name}