5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 9:41 PM by Jon Brunke

EPDM and a supplier without EPDM

Henrik Hansen

Hi all

We are having a problem as we need to send assemblies, parts and drawings all stored in and revision controlled by EPDM2010, to a supplier without EPDM. They are going to modify files without any access to our database. Needles to say this causes a lot of problems for us as EPDM doesn't reconigze the files when checked in to our vault again as WPDM did. We basically overwrite the existing files, and redo the file references (because not all files will be checked in again) and increment the revision to former status. Sp i guess my question is; Is there anybody out there dealing with a simular situation and how do you do it?

PS. I know this is bad practice and ideally our supplier should direct access to our database, but we have to deal with it for now.

Thanks,

Henrik

• Re: EPDM and a supplier without EPDM
          Jeff Walters

Henrik

have you thought about setting up a web client for them? with a web client they would be working from your vault.

Michael Dekoning

Henrik,

If you can't use the web client option I have an idea. I've not tried this so please make sure you test this thoroughly!

Copy the files out of the vault to a usb drive using the same folder structure as your vault. Have the supplier move the folders and files onto their computer just as if they had a local view to your vault. The file paths must match exactly. Tell the supplier that they absolutely must leave the files in the folders where they are. When they send you the usb drive containing the updated files, go into the vault and check the originals out (if you haven't already done so). Switch to work off-line and overwrite the files in the vault folders. Go back to work on-line and check the files in. I believe that EPDM will work just as if you had modified the files while working off-line.

Mike

EPDM 2010 SP2

Henrik Hansen

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion I actually discussed it with my VAR and reached the conclusion that it might work but it will on the other hand create problems for our supplier. We have quite a large amount of data and complicated folder structure + we use 3rd party software too handle file transfers today. The USB drive would be great but we are placed in Europe, and our supplier in Asia and we have daily data transfers, so it is not possible. In the long run we'll be going for a replicated server at their end as they produce quite a lot of documentation for us. We have reached the conclusion that we simply cannot have them working outside our pdm system. So hopefully we'll have this setup in record time...

Cheers,

Henrik

Michael Dekoning

Henrik,

My suggestion was for a simple solution. It is always a good idea to involve your VAR as they should be familiar with your company. Currently our company has only internal people accessing our vault. I think in the future we will also look to involve outside companies in the design process, so I too will be having to deal with this situation. Good luck to you.

Mike

EPDM 2010 SP2

Jon Brunke

Henrik,

I just got back from SWW 2011 where they introduced the "Infuze" product.  I'm going to begin looking at it as a possible solution to the supplier question.  I believe it's suppose to become availible in the March/April 2011 time frame.