6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 4:43 PM by Brian Lilley

Associate two model files with the same drawing

Brian Lilley

Is it possible to associate two separate model files with the same drawing?  Then if the drawing is rev'd, both model files are rev'd but if one of the model files is rev'd, it doesn't affect the other model or drawing?  Let me know if this is possible and if so, how do i go about doing this?  Thanks.    

• Re: Associate two model files with the same drawing
          Kelvin Lamport

I sincerely hope it is not possible.

Why on earth would you want that?  It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Brian Hoerner

Brian,

You can place as many models in one drawing (I am sure there is some limit) as you want to, BUT, if any of the parts change and you open the drawing then it must change.

Brian

Brian Lilley

Let me see if i can clarify what we're trying to do.  We're designing two molds for a machine.  The drawing file for these two molds would be exactly the same and would not change between the two.  The model however, would be different between the two.  This would leave me with one drawing and two different model files.  Can I have two different model files that link to the same drawing file that act as two separate designs?  

Wayne Tiffany

SW is a parametric program which means that drawing views are just showing you a view of a model.  You can put many views on a drawing and those views can look at any model.  However, since you are actually looking at the model, if the model changes, the drawing has to change just by definition.  It may be that the model change is totally inside and not visible, but it changed nonetheless.

So, can you have two different models tied to the same drawing view?  No, a drawing view can only be tied to one model file.  In your case you state that the drawing file for these two molds would be exactly the same - can't be unless the model files are actually the same file and same config.  If what you have is a mold that has an insert and the insert is changing between the two, then you could have a drawing for the mold without the insert that would be the same for both, and then a higher level assy that has two configs - one for each of the inserts in the base mold.  Then the drawing that calls out that assy would call out the base mold and each proper insert.

WT

John Burrill

'The models are different but the draiwngs are the same'

I infer from that that the differences between the models are not apparent in the drawing.  Either the geometry that differs isn't shown or the models have the same geometry and differ by material, treatment.

So I conjecture that you want a generic drawing that applies for both.  But I'm still kind of hazy on the function of this drawing.

Can you tell me what the drawing documents and how it mentions both parts.  Also if this isn't a regular old dimensional-detail drawing, is it a spec control drawing or family-of-parts drawing or a process drawing or something else?  And finally, even if the parts are incidentally the same now, what's the problem with having two drawings Are there two unrelated partnumbers?

I ask because it sounds like you've got an unusual set of criteria and you're not sure what your options are.

John

Brian Lilley

Thanks everyone for the abundance of info.  In discussing this issue with another engineer, he explained how changing the model file would inherently change the drawing (whether it looked like it or not).  He explained the idea of using a single model file with two configurations, etc, but through some conversations I think that doing the standard 1 model to 1 drawing is the best bet for history, revs, etc.  Even if the two drawing files are the same and if a change needs to be made, it needs to be made on two files - it's better to deal with that hassle than to not be able to trust the associating data with the drawing.  Thanks everyone.