2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 1:37 AM by Mark Lawrence

Limits of Solidworks

Mark Lawrence

Hello there!

I am a student currently, and i've noticed that in our science library there is a test period licence for Solidworks for about 150 days. I had in mind to simulate a home made schnapps destillery.

I'm certain that all the solid body mechanics can be designed and simulated (the caldron and the condensation pipes), but can i simulate the evaporation of certain fluids?

Is it possible to simulate a fluid (which would have evaporation characteristics as ethanol and methanol) and then see how different alcohols evaporate according to the temperature in the caldron?

Thanks

• Re: Limits of Solidworks
          Raghavendra Bhagavan.S.M

Hello Mark !

Welcome to SW Forums,

You cannot simulate evaporation of  fluids with SolidWorks Flow Simulation.

• Analyze the flow of up to ten fluids of different types (liquids,  gases/steam, real gases, non-Newtonian liquids and compressible liquids). The  database contains numerous fluids with predefined properties.

• Analyze a problem with multiple fluids of different types, provided you  separate the areas of the different fluids from each other using fluid  subdomains.

• Analyze mutual dissolution of fluids. Mixing fluids must be of the same  type.

•  

Define your own fluids.

You can also set various boundary conditions :

For inlet and outlet:

• Mass volume

• Volume flow

• Velocity

• Mach number

• Static pressure

• Total pressure

• Environment pressure

• Wall pressure

For inlet only:

• Flow velocity profile, swirl, or vector

• Temperature

• Composition (for assemblies)

• Turbulence parameters

Flow Simulation includes these features to view the results:

Plots

3D-profile plots

Cut Plots

Surface Plots

XY Plots

Animations

Flow Trajectories

Goals

Iso surfaces

Particle studies

Reports

Point, surface, and volume parameters

You can also obtain the final value of any physical parameter, including flow  rate, pressure drop, etc., at a given point, or the maximum, minimum, average,  or weighted averaged over a surface or volume area.

Hope this helps !

Cheers !

Raghu.

• Re: Limits of Solidworks
            John Sutherland

The reality is that you can build and test one in much less time than it would take to simulate one, and you will have more confidence in the results.

Further, the cost will be much less than the cost of SW Premium.

The learning curve to achieve anything in SW is greater than 150 days.