6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2011 11:39 AM by Kelvin Lamport

Importing from Pro/E

John Ferullo

I found an older (1.5-2yr) discussion that recommended importing pro/e files into SW  via STEP.  Has anything changed? I may need to work back and forth with a vendor who only uses PRO/E and I would like to get as much information in the file as possible. 

Thanks

JF

• Re: Importing from Pro/E
          Kelvin Lamport

http://help.solidworks.com/2011/English/solidworks/sldworks/legacyhelp/sldworks/impexp/pro_engineer_files.htm

Importing Pro/ENGINEER Files into SolidWorks

The Pro/ENGINEER translator imports Pro/ENGINEER part or assembly files   as SolidWorks part or assembly documents. The attributes, features, sketches,   and dimensions of the Pro/ENGINEER part are imported. If all of the features   in the file are not supported, you can choose to import the file as either   a solid body or a surface model. The Pro/ENGINEER translator supports   import of free curves, wireframes, and surface data.

When importing an assembly, you can control how to import individual   components. Sub-assemblies are supported as well.

Exporting SolidWorks Documents as Pro/ENGINEER Files

The Pro/ENGINEER translator exports part or assembly documents as Pro/ENGINEER   part or assembly files. SolidWorks exports solids and surfaces only, not   feature data.

Version Information - The exported   files are saved as Pro/ENGINEER version 20 files.

Todd Engle

Importing-

"Version Information - Versions 17 through 2001 of Pro/ENGINEER and Wildfire versions 1 - 4 are supported. Import of assembly features is not supported."

John Ferullo

Anyone have any experience with how this works in real application?  Particularly sheet metal. How often are you able to get a useable part with history and design intent vs having to simply import geometry?

Thanks in advance.

JF

Kelvin Lamport

Why not get some sample files from the vendor and run a few tests. Better to learn the problems (and solutions) now, than when you are under a deadline.

John Ferullo

Kevin:

That's the right answer but at this point we have no CAD in house and I need to decide which system to implement. I don't even have time for a bake off. Having better than 13 years of SW and only 2 or 3 years or Pro/e I am heavily leaning to SW but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with this initial project.

Thanks for your help

John

Kelvin Lamport

Are you limited to implementing just one system? Having multiple sytems could double your potential market.

Could you borrow a Pro/E licence or workstation from the vendor? Or maybe rent one from a third party (Proe/E VAR or ???)

Unless both you and the vendor can perform changes with some form of Direct Edit, it will very quickly become a PITA to be converting and re-recognizing features for editing.

Do you have other vendors? What systems do they use?

I don't know your business or financial situation, but I would be very tempted to go with Pro/E for this project, and hopefully also implement SW as cash flow allows.