5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2018 4:02 PM by Glenn Schroeder

Driven Dimensions

Bruce Mutch

Is it me, or has anyone else noticed that when dimensioning a part in a drawing and the "Make Dimension Driven" window pops up, the "leave this dimension driving" is automatically checked? I'm sure "make this dimension driven" used to be the default setting prior to SW11. Does anyone know where I can change the default setting? Can't seem to find it anywhere...

Cheers,

Bruce.

• Re: Driven Dimensions
          Jerry Steiger

Bruce,

I'm not running SW11, but in SW10, it is set in Tools/Options/System Options/Sketch. Down at the bottom is "Over defining dimensions" with check boxes for "Prompt to set driven state" and "Set driven by default".

Jerry Steiger

Bruce Mutch

Thanks Jerry... I knew it must have been somewhere, although I'm still at a loss as to why it had become unchecked in the first place.

Jerry Steiger

Bruce,

If you read through enough threads on these forums, you will see that SW or Microsoft, or someone, seems to change registry settings every once in a while. Lately it seems like a lot of people have been having problems with the view quality being reset to lowest setting. I suppose it's possible that all of the these people (and maybe even you!) mistakenly changed settings, but I find it easier to believe that it was SW or Microsoft or cosmic rays.

Jerry Steiger

Ziad Chamseddine

Jerry I am new in solid works and I attached a photo, I changed the default thanks to you but when i am trying to set dimension for the red line which is the spacing between the rectangle and the outer boarder it is telling me it is over defined. I want to space it by 1 in and I want to see the change after setting the measure. Can you please direct me to do that?.

Glenn Schroeder

Ziad Chamseddine wrote:

Jerry I am new in solid works and I attached a photo, I changed the default thanks to you but when i am trying to set dimension for the red line which is the spacing between the rectangle and the outer boarder it is telling me it is over defined. I want to space it by 1 in and I want to see the change after setting the measure. Can you please direct me to do that?.

Jerry changed jobs, and I believe is using a different software, so he doesn't check in here often, but I'll try to help.  You don't show sketch relations in the screenshot, but I'd guess that when placing this small rectangle the corner indicated below snapped to the construction line.  If that's the case, then of course the horizontal line you pointed to would also have to be 1/2" from the top of the larger rectangle.

I'd suggest clicking on that point to display any relations in its Property Manager.  If I'm right it will show a Coincident relation where I have the Midpoint relation below.  Delete it (either by right-clicking and choosing "Delete" from the drop-down or left-click and hit Delete on your keyboard).  Now you should be free to dimension the line however you want.