2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 1:46 PM by John Steensen

SolidWorks PDM capabilities

Kathy Richardson

Hello,

I would like to get a general feel for the SolidWorks PDM capabilities.

• Are there modules that will manage other CAD data? Catia? Pro/E? AutoCad (thermal desktop)? Mentor Graphics (pcad)?
      • What is the ease for full change control? Class I or II changes that may or may not require CCB? Are the workflows easy to customize?
      • How is access control handled? Can you isolate data from users per product line or company sites? Can you flag datasets as ‘ITAR’ classification?
      • What are the MRP export capabilities? Can you build a ‘MBOM’ of parts based on the CAD dataset ‘EBOM’? Will this export into say SAP or Visibility?
      • Can you publish drawings (PDF) from the controlled CAD datasets showing release status with watermarks?

Thanks in advance, Kathy

• Re: SolidWorks PDM capabilities
          Raghavendra Bhagavan.S.M

Hello Kathy !

First are you referring to SolidWorks Enterprise PDM ? If you are then here is info:

1) Are there modules that will manage other CAD data? Catia? Pro/E? AutoCad (thermal desktop)? Mentor Graphics (pcad)?

You can manage autocad,solidworks,inventor,pro-e and solidedge cad files. But not catia files, You can store the Catia files and it would not understand the references.

Same with your other types of files. It would be a mere dumping ground. You will have manually add or change the references.

2) What is the ease for full change control? Class I or II changes that may or may not require CCB? Are the workflows easy to customize?

I am not sure these class 1 or 2 changes. But i am damn sure that you can customize / build  the workflows the way you want it's pretty easy and very intutive.

3) How is access control handled? Can you isolate data from users per product line or company sites? Can you flag datasets as ‘ITAR’ classification?

Again not sure ITAR Classification; But you can control the users access to a min of file,folder,state of the workflow, Etc.

4 )What are the MRP export capabilities? Can you build a ‘MBOM’ of parts based on the CAD dataset ‘EBOM’? Will this export into say SAP or Visibility?

You can export the MBOM (Computed, as built in cad ) and Named BOM ( Add items like consumables etc to the MBOM) and can be exported in XML format.You would need connectors to send this information to SAP.

5) Can you publish drawings (PDF) from the controlled CAD datasets showing release status with watermarks?

Yes, You can use tasks to accomplish task.

I hope this info helps, don't hesitate to ask if you need more info.

Cheers !
          Bhagavan.

• Re: SolidWorks PDM capabilities
            John Steensen

Kathy,

• Are there modules that will manage other CAD data? Catia? Pro/E? AutoCad (thermal desktop)? Mentor Graphics (pcad)?

I haven't used PDM to manage much else other than SW, AutoCAD, and Word documents, so I can't respond well to your first question.

• What is the ease for full change control? Class I or II changes that may or may not require CCB? Are the workflows easy to customize?

Very simple and straight forward once you get a grasp on the administrative tool and relationships between different components. I imagine we are using it in similar environments.

• How is access control handled? Can you isolate data from users per product line or company sites? Can you flag datasets as ‘ITAR’ classification?

Yes permissions are by user and by group - you can assign permissions based on folders, and you can change the data cards to anything you want, so you could put together something for ITAR flagging very very easily.

• What are the MRP export capabilities? Can you build a ‘MBOM’ of parts based on the CAD dataset ‘EBOM’? Will this export into say SAP or Visibility?

Not natively, though EPDM does have an extensive API and I do know people who have sucessfully intergrated it with thier MRP system. I will be tackling that at some point in the relatively near future.

• Can you publish drawings (PDF) from the controlled CAD datasets showing release status with watermarks?

Yes. Very simply. We watermark all drawings, and the watermarks change depending on where it is in the workflow.

Wasn't trying to be vague in my answers, just brief.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!

John