AnsweredAssumed Answered

SMB QUERY_PATH_INFO error packets

Question asked by Fleming Networks on Jan 18, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 by Fleming Networks

Background on the network: windows server 2003 connected to a network (via unmanaged switch) of 10+ computers running solidworks on XP. while monitoring the traffic I noticed a large number of SMB packets returning from the server giving an error about locating a file. After investigating the error I determined, with the help of a user that it is being caused by solidworks. Essentially the servers file structure was reorganized leaving some of the 'linked' files for some projects either deleted or missing. Upon opening one of the files that have these broken links the program asks you if you would like to find the file yourself or not. This error message was normally ignored by the users and they pressed no. It turns out that solidworks continued to query the server for the missing files while they worked on the project until it was closed or until the links were removed. My question is if anyone knows off hand if there is a way to prevent solidworks from constantly trying to find these linked files without going into every project and fixing the links?

The following is an example of the information I described seeing in wireshark:

--source-------dest-------protocol-----info-----

"<hostIP>","<srvrIP>","SMB","Trans2 Request, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Query File Basic Info, Path: \2010\10-216 GE - Magnet Insert Tooling for prototype\Mechanical\Assemblies\Ansi Metric\Bolts And Screws\Socket Head Cap Screw_AM.SLDPRT"
"<srvrIP>","<hostIP>","SMB","Trans2 Response, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND"

Outcomes