3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 3:47 PM by Jerry Steiger

Can't extend/trim surface... (Newbie)

My problem is that I was given the attached file to modify.  It is a thread adapter, so I need to change the threading on both ends (diameter, pitch, ...).  It was modeled as a surface so my first thought was to turn it into a part (in a previous post someone helped me achieve this).  I became interested in surfacing, so I completed some tutorials.  However, things are straight forward when starting from scratch, but with the file attached I am not sure how to modify it, for example, trying to extend a face gives me the error "There is no extend boundary", for which Google has no answer.  Any hints would be much appreciated!

zbot1

• Re: Can't extend/trim surface... (Newbie)
          Charles Culp

Zbot,

I'm not sure which surface you want to extend, and how far?  I filled in the gap with a boundary surface, and then knit it together. Sorry, but I had to use SW 2011.

BoundaryAndKnit.png

Charles,

Thanks for the help.  On a previous post someone helped me create the knitted surface in order to turn it into a solid.  I was curious to know if there was a way, without turning it into a solid, to edit (e.g., extend) the faces on the surface.  I've highlighted one such face on the attached screenshot.  I've read some of your posts pointing to tutorials into the subject of surfacing  (e.g., car modeling), but even though I am getting familiar with the different techniques I cannot figure out how to modify this particular model.  Thanks again for the time to help.

cheers,

zbot1

Jerry Steiger

Zbot,

When working with imported surfaces, you may be more limited in what you can do to surfaces.

It looks like the blue surface "should" be a planar surface, which is extremely easy to extend. If it doesn't extend, then it must not be what it appears to be. If it is a conical surface, it should still be easy to extend. Perhaps it is just a bad surface.

You might also try Untrim. That is often a better tool to use than extend.

Jerry Steiger