11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 4:52 PM by Tedd McHenry

DBWorks to EPDM

David Hales

We currently have 30 engineers and 100000+ SolidWorks files controlled by DBWorks.  We are thinking of switching to EPDM.  Has anyone else made this transition?  If so, any words of advice?  Maybe I can learn from your mistakes or moments of greatness.  Anything will be appreciated.

• Re: DBWorks to EPDM
          Jeremy Schmidt

I am currently making this transition, but your experience will depend entirely on your setup of DBWorks and EPDM.  Obviously, the more complicated your DBWorks setup, the more difficult the transition is going to be.  I can try to help with any specific questions you might have, but I could type for hours on the entire process.

Raguraman Thulasiraman

David,

You need to take care of your DB Works customization. If you planned to move all the customization into EPDM, then you may need a support of consulting firm like us. We have experience in doing the DB Works to EPDM migration. Do let me know if you want more details.

Alessandro Frattini

Hi,

for curiosity, why have you decided to switch to EPDMW ?

David Hales

The reason the switch is being considered is that our VAR has severed ties with Mechworks. They now only support EPDM. We can still get tech support for DBWorks through Mechworks, but the feeling is that it would be beneficial to have our tech support under the same roof. That way there would be no finger pointing and they would be not be able to deny accountability.  Plus EPDM updates as SolidWorks updates.  No waiting around for DBWorks to be compatible for the latest and greatest SolidWorks release.

Alessandro Frattini

Thank you for the answers.

Steven Patkus

Did you make the transition?  We have been aquired and are determining if we should consider moving to EPDM as a corporate solution, or continuing with DBWorks.  It's hard to tell which is the right horse to choose.

David Hales

We are making the transition now.  We have EPDM installed, but have not started the migration phase of our implimentation yet.

Steven Patkus

What finalized your decision?  We've had DBWorks for 7 years and have been satisfied.  We have been working directly with a MechWorks support group since we purchased it.

David Hales

I would want to update SolidWorks, but would have to wait on a DBWorks compatible release before doing so.  The updates started coming more and more slowly.  We like DBWorks, but have random issues with SolidWorks because of it.  The main reason is that ModernTech stopped supporting DBWorks a few years ago.  When we needed tech support DBWorks will say it was a SolidWorks issue, and SolidWorks would say it was a DBWorks issue.  I think Mechworks will eventually bankrupt, and dissolve.  Think about this.  What are the chances that Solidworks sales is going to reccomend DBWorks instead of EPDM.  Zero.  As the years go by, DBWorks has less and less of a market share.  I thought it would be better to change now instead of waiting until it goes under.

Steven Patkus

I have similar concerns.  SW made a moving forward choice and bought Conisio(now EPDM).  The VAR's can make more $ from selling EPDM than DBWorks and most of them can not support the product with internal resources.  Also, I'm sure Dassault/SW corporate is applying a lot of pressure to sell their own vs. a "Gold" partner solution.

Tedd McHenry

I've gone the other way. I recently left a company where I helped implement EPDM and joined a company using DBWorks. I hesitate to offer an opinion because I'm much more familiar with EPDM still, and I'm not even an expert in that system. But my initial impression is that EPDM is somewhat easier to learn, and perhaps more intuitive to use. All our engineers at the old company felt comfortable with EPDM pretty quickly, even though only one had any previous experience with PDM systems. By contrast, even after a year of user and administrator experience with EPDM I find it's taking me quite a while to become comfortable with DBWorks. Perhaps the Windows-like interface of EPDM shortens the learning cycle.