6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 11:44 AM by Michael Allton

Search for Checked Out and Modified Files

Stephen Lee

Hi,

We are transitioning from Workgroup to EPDM, so we are doing a lot of learning . The search capabilities appear to be very powerful in EPDM, but I can't figure out how to make a search for "checked out and modified" files. Does anyone know how to do this? Also, it would be nice if, looking for only checked out files (which I know how to do), you could highlight or put an icon next to the modified files. Is that possible?

Thank you

Stephen

• Re: Search for Checked Out and Modified Files
          Jeff Sweeney

It isn't a trivial thing to search for files that are modified.

What are you trying to do? Most instances knowing if a file is checked out is good enough.

BTW, if you happen to check in a file that is not modified, a new version is not created.

Stephen Lee

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. As I had said, we are new to EPDM and just figuring out the interface, etc.

From what I have read and learned, I am coming to the conclusion that EPDM doesn't work the way that I thought it would. I thought that you would be able to use the File Explorer interface to see the same information that you can see in the EPDM Solidworks add-in interface, ie, the vault status for all of the SW files you are using locally. I used to use Pro/Engineer's Pro/Intralink PDM module (for Pro/E stuff) at a previous job, and that has the ability to do this. You can see what files you have locally, if you have the latest version from the vault, if someone else has "ownership" of the file, etc. So, that is the feature that I am try to create in EPDM, but without having to open Solidworks. I thought that I would be able to make a search config to do this, since the search features has so many variables available to use.

Does that help explain what I am trying to do?

Thanks!

Jesse Seger

Are you talking about a Local View?

Michael Allton

Stephen,

All the things that you are looking at doing is possible.  We migrated to Enterprise last year and seem to be working really well.  I would suggest to contact your VAR, our VAR set ours up with a very handy search tool and work flow that helps us identify what files are checkout and by whom, what revision is checkout and what state in the workflow they are currently in.

Stephen Lee

Hi Michael and Jesse,

Jesse, yes, I guess that this would be a local view, that also shows that vault status of the files you have locally. You can see this in SW if you are using Workgroup.

Michael, this is great news and gives me hope that we can make this work inline with our expectations. Does your search tool also tell you the status of the local file, relative to the current vault file (new, same, older, locked by another user, etc)? Is the search tool a custom app, or just a specific configuration of the existing search capability? If it is the existing EPDM search tool, is there any way to export a configuration?

Thank you for your help

Michael Allton

Stephen,

I'm pretty sure this was a custom search created by our VAR that allows us to see the names of the files, which user has them checked in or out, file size, what state they are in with respect to our work flow, last modified date, what assemblies it is found in, what version it is in, weather it is a commercial or manufactured part, and also the configurations it has. I will see if I can do some looking around and try to find the how it was created.