9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 3:00 PM by Ray Luck

Enterprise PDM/Workgroup PDM and non solidworks files

Ray Luck

Our company is going through bit of a transition mainly due to growth and I'm trying to streamline some of our work flow. We've dropped Autodesk Inventor and picked up Solidworks because it work better with our other software packages. Our problem is too many CAD files (obviously the Solidworks PDM will take care of this) but also too many files for our turrets and benders.

I would like to know if either Workgroup PDM or Enterprise PDM can be used to store non solidworks files, for example we use Jetcam for our punching, CADman for our benders and we're just purchased a milling machine so we'll have another bunch of programs to deal with. Can this all be taken care of in the PDM so that a part number has the model, drawing and pdf from Solidworks plus the Jetcam file plus the CADman file with revision control on all?

Our Solidworks rep will be out next week but I just wanted some background info before I see him.

Thanks.

Ray.

• Re: Enterprise PDM/Workgroup PDM and non solidworks files
          Faur Arama

Hello Ray,

In PDM Enterprise you can add any kind of files. We use dxf and Jetcam files for punching machines for sheet metal parts. These files can be attached as references to the sw files so any transition will affect all the files. There some issues about data linked to dxf and Jetcam files becouse usually for these files you can't  add windows properties.

Ray Luck

Hi Faur,

Thanks for the reply. Spoke with our Solidworks Rep and techie yesterday. They guarantee that Enterprise can handle the Jetcam files and that we can add metadata to the jetcam files so they can be indexed and searched like the other files, like you would a word document. But they couldn't tell us if the link between the two types of jetcam files would be retained. So do your jetcam geometry files still link to your jetcam nesting files? Thanks.

Joy Garon

Hi Ray,

The relationship between the two file will not be established automatically between the two files.

However, you can establish the relationship manually and it will be retained until you break it.

See the example in the attached video where I attach a TIF image to a Word document.

Joy

Ray Luck

Hi Joy,

Thank you for the demonstration.

I can see how that works but jetcam is a bit different. The geometry file contains the part geometry and some or all tooling. The nesting file references the geometry file, nesting multiple parts as well as adding tooling like parting if required. If geometry or tooling is changed in the geometry file it automatically updates the nesting file. It's similar to a derived part in SW, where the derived part is looking back to see if any changes have been made to the referenced part. We need to know if Enterprise PDM will support this link.

Joy Garon

Hi Ray,

Without actually testing it I can't be sure. When you say geometry file and nesting file, do me mean physical files with extensions? (ie: sldprt, sldasm)

How does the system find the files on your current system? Do you have something like an Options setup where you define the reference file paths?

Will you be at SolidWorks World?

Regards,

Joy

Ray Luck

Yes they do have physical extensions. Geometry is .JGF and nesting is .JNF

At the moment Jetcam has to store them in the same folder with the same name. We've asked Jetcam to provide us with some more information about the file structure and they are getting back to us.

Not going to SW World but our Rep left today for it so hopefully he can get some answers. I think we are just going to have to test it.

Faur Arama

Hi Ray,

If you use 2011 version of pdm the dispatch can modify card variables (as I read we use 2008). So can create a dispatch action that read values from data card of part file and then writes on jgf file metadata. For nesting files  it depends how you are using them. If mantain the same nesting file(s) for a product there is a problem to mantain link to gemetry files but if use these files on order basis I think you don't need to make a strong link to geometry files.

Ray Luck

Hi Faur,

We would be purchasing 2011.

I see what you mean. We don't really change our nesting files too often. It's only for smaller components that are say nested in a sheet that contains 1000 and a customer only wants 500 hundred. We would create additional nesting file but usually we don't keep them. I guess if we change the geometry file it's pretty quick to make a new nesting file or update the old one manually. If Jetcam cannot find the referenced geometry file is it easy to point it to the correct file in the vault?

Ray Luck

Just to add that Jetcam's compatibility is the only product we're worried about. Our mill and benders only have one file so they can be referenced as Joy demonstrated and left there. The idea is that top level assy will eventually break down into the simple folded sheetmetal parts and our people on the floor can see the model, drawing, pdf, and our punching and bending files for that part. This would be perfect.