29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2019 8:44 AM by Barry Watkins

2011 Toolbox re-pathing automatically

Barry Watkins

I just have to say that this change in 2011 has caused us some major headaches in our small 4-station installation.  Our standard mode of operation has been to take parts from toolbox, rename them and put them in our project folder so they read correctly in the automated BOM.  The new default settings have automatically renamed and re-pathed every single hardware item in any assembly that is opened and saved.  Not good.  Anybody know of a good way to get hardware items renamed back to what they used to be named in assy's where this has ocurred without having to go through every toolbox part in the assy and manually rename it?

• Re: 2011 Toolbox re-pathing automatically
          Mark Tafelski

There is a new option in 2011 that you need to change.

Tools / Options /  Hole Wizard/Toolbox - Uncheck the option "Make this folder the default search location for Toolbox components

This will allow you to keep the link to the files in your "job/project" directory.

Mark

toolbox-options.jpg

Barry Watkins

Yes, we discovered the checkbox and have all unchecked the box now so that this hopefully doesn't happen again.  Just wondering if there's a good way to fix all the hardware after an assembly has been re-pathed and saved.  I suspect not, just thought I'd throw the question out there to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Barry Watkins

Also wondering if there's anyone else out there who dislikes this new default behavior.  Anyone who takes toolbox items and changes them or renames them is going to be effected.  All of us started with the toolbox path box checked when we upgraded to 2011 because that's the default.  The first couple of times we opened an assembly and edited something then saved the assembly all the hardware names and paths were changed, and because we didn't know about this change we didn't even know it was messing up our boms until later when the new names showed up on our drawings.  This has caused us many hours of wasted time fixing what the software messed up.  Just saying...

Tim R

Barry,

Yep we do.  I had been taking the toolbox flag off (in setdocprops) and thinking that no toolbox options would apply to our converted parts and still had this problem.. before I knew about this check box.  Why does Solidworks change stuff like this and not inform people sufficiently?  Especially when it doesn't seem to improve functionality?? Or do they give a list of changes like this to their VARs to give them a reason for existing?

Tim

John Burrill

Just discovered this nasty little sneak for myself-after running update references on every assembly in our F#@!!!!ing vault (yeah, and that wasn't a piece of cake either!)

My situation is just like Tim's.  Our fastener references were generated using the create parts' interface in toolbox and then using the setdocproperty application remove the toolbox property from the parts so that we could check them into the vault.

So it would seam, I have to go back and fix this in every assembly.  But it gets worse.

When I go through and manually replace the toolbox fasteners with our parts, it only lasts until I re-open the file.  Oh yes, the assembly does save.  If you check the references before opening the assembly, it lists our parts, but as soon as it opens, it decides, 'hell, they don't really want to use those parts I'll just stick some of these good ole cimlogic parts in there and they'll be just as good.'

In addtion to this lovely behavior, when I disable the toolbox add-in, it turns itself back on.

I'd love to  grab my support tech at our VAR and cut off his airway until this regression is fixed, but it's my frickin' fault not theirs.

Someone at my VAR said hold off on upgrading until 2.1 comes out.    He didn't mention this problem specifically.  That was 3 weeks ago.  We're in a rare lull between programs.  This is our window to upgrade and make some infrastructure improvements.  Next week we get busy again.  So I checked around the discussion groups to see if there were any significant problems (didn't think to check the add-ins 1 by 1) and figured upgrading was a safe bet. I've spent the last week dumping the files from our vault, running 'update references' from task manager and checking them into a new vault.  I was in the process of upgrading our designers seats and now I get this show stopper-every bit as nasty as that little photoworks problem they had last year.

This is the third time I've been cataclysmically burned by toolbox.  If I could find a way to do it, I would uninstall that part of Solidworks and burn the computer with the sourcecode for this rotten thing.  I am so burned and so mad that I want to unplug my computer and walk away from it.

John

Mark Tafelski

Watch close when/if you update to SP 2.0.  After applying the update, the "Make this folder the default location for Toolbox components" option was once again checked.  I had to uncheck again so that the files didn't relink to the original toolbox models.

Mark

Jon Kennedy

Cheers Mark!

Unchecking this box fixed it for me. I'd been fighting this for ages having had to use "Replace Components" to correct Toolbox's "cleverness" many mnay times. Very annoying. In my experience it had nothing to do with the folder containing the ex-toolbox parts having the word toolbox in it. Using the "sldsetdocpro" exe removed the toolbox icon from the tree but Toolbox still replaced the parts so these ex-toolbox parts must still have something toolbox related remaining.

jon

Robert Libby

So I have tried all of this ideas to fix the issue and none fix it for us. We are at SW2011 SP 2.0.

Any other thoughts? I am waiting for SP 3.0.

Mark Tafelski

I just wanted to let everyone know that if you update from SW 2011 2.0 to 3.0, Solidworks (at least on my system) re-checked the "Make this folder the default search locion for Toolbox components" option when I did the update.

Mark

Tim O'Shea

I just got screwed on this too. This is pretty much what you get in a new version of Solidworks. No improvements, just a lot more butthurt. Can't wait til SW2012. I'm hoping for a checkbox I can tick and a Solidworks rep will come to my work and kick me in the balls. Then I can go home early.

Tim R

If you update to SW2011 SP4.0 be sure to uncheck this box again:

Tools / Options /  Hole Wizard/Toolbox - Uncheck the option "Make this folder the default search location for Toolbox components

This will allow you to keep the link to the files in your "job/project" directory.

toolbox-options.jpg

This should not be automatically back to checked but it is..

Bill Florac

FYI - When upgrading to SB5 it also turns this feature back on. You need to go back in afterwards and uncheck the checkbox.

Also note that even with this flag off and after you run setdocprops to turn off the toolbox flag on your toolbox created parts, there are still parts of the toolbox in the file. To prove this, turn on the toolbox browsers in add-ins, create an assembly, put some part taht came from the toolbox and you ran setdocprops on into the assembly. The icon looks correct (non-toolbox) but now, in the tree, right click on the part. You will see a menu item called "Edit Toolbox Definition". 

I have found no way to get rid of ALL the toolbox info.  Which is why if you have an assembly that works fine, and then you check the checkbox shown above (or upgrade) and open the assembly, it will ignore all the local parts and recreate the original toolbox parts and modify your assembly without even telling you. This is really annoying if you have modified the original toolbox parts to be something different. Even more problematic is that if you take one toolbox part, modify it twice to make two different parts, after you open the assembly, BOTH parts will be converted to the original toolbox part and you can't tell them apart.

Barry Watkins

Pretty sure this checkbox still gets checked automatically when you upgrade to the next version and every service pack. Important to know. I still think SW should change this.

Chad Leman

Any word how this is behaving with SW 2012?