7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 2:30 PM by Shawn Grigsby

SW Drawing Limitations

Shawn Grigsby

Ok, now that I have been developing drawings out of SW for the last 8 weeks, I can say that it has more limitations than I expected.

Many times I am looking to dimension a variable fillet and the drawing cannot pick up on it.  I end up putting a note that is referenced to an edge for a quick fix.

In an assembly drawing, if I section it out, why cant I control what components are shown in the section view without affecting the main view?

If i need to hide an edge, I have to suppress it in the model, why not just the drawing?  Well what if I dont want it suppressed in the other views?

I have a sketch in a part I want to show in the assembly drawing but cant because in the assembly feature tree for that part, I can not expand it

and my list goes on......  I have spent more time trying to figure out how to make the drawings than I have creating them......(breaths sigh, gets more coffee, straps on his office chair and gets back into the research)

rant is over....for now

-Shawn

• Re: SW Drawing Limitations
          Glenn Schroeder

Shawn,

You can hide an edge in a drawing.  Just RMB on it and select the icon at the top of the drop-down or Hide at the bottom.

hide edge.JPG

I also can't figure out why you can't expand the tree in a drawing to show a sketch.  Are you trying to expand the tree and show it while in the Drawing or in the Assembly?

Glenn

Kelvin Lamport

Shawn, I don't mean to sound rude or obnoxious, but I think the limitations is with your inexperience with SW.

First stop should always be the Help files. They are not always helpful, and could certainly be improved ... but they do contain a wealth of knowledge.

In an assembly drawing, if I section it out, why cant I control what components are shown in the section view without affecting the main view?

http://help.solidworks.com/2011/English/solidworks/sldworks/legacyhelp/sldworks/drawings/hidd_section_view_excl_comps.htm

If i need to hide an edge, I have to suppress it in the model, why not just the drawing?  Well what if I dont want it suppressed in the other views?

http://help.solidworks.com/2011/English/solidworks/sldworks/allcontent/solidworks/core/drawings/hidd_dve_hide_show.htm

I have a sketch in a part I want to show in the assembly drawing but cant because in the assembly feature tree for that part, I can not expand it

http://help.solidworks.com/2011/English/solidworks/sldworks/legacyhelp/sldworks/drawings/hiding_and_showing_sketches.htm

You should be able to fully expand the Drawing View Manager down to the sketch level.

Can you post an image of the tree in your drawing?

Deepak Gupta

Shawn check the attached pic

The section view has one part only having hidden edge and sketch (which is there in the part mode) shown. And all of these were easily done.

Shawn Grigsby

Ok, after having to step away from the keyboard and coming back to read your comments.  I looked further into my problems.  I know most of it is due to my inexperience, but I have been given the task of heading up our drawing dept and the pressure to get it done has taken a toll on my patience today.

I figured out why the components werent showing up as expandable because I didnt have them shown in the assembly file.  Once I shown them, I had the expandable option.  I would have guessed you would have that option reguradless if it was shown or hid.  Thus that fixed the sketch I needed to show in my section view.

I was hiding a component in my main drawing view, when I did that it also hid it in my section view, I just had to show it again within the section view........but if you hid it in the assembly file, you dont get the option to show it agian within the drawing, you have to go back and reshow it again in the assembly file.

Still using notes for those edges SW cant dimension.

What I had meant before was hiding fillets and not edges in the drawing.

The road will be long but you have to start somewhere and I appreciate everyones input.

-Shawn

Jerry Steiger

Shawn,

I believe you are right, that you can't dimension a variable radius fillet. To tell you the truth, I never even thought about doing it till you mentioned it. You could add this into the SWW and Top 10 Ideas under General, and also put in an enhancement request.

Jerry Steiger

Charles Culp

Shawn and Jerry,

"Variable Radius Fillets" are not actually a fixed-radius along their cross-section. They are actually spline based fillets, so they aren't perfect semi-circles. They are just an approximation. That is the reason you cannot define the radius at a certain section view, because it isn't a circle.

My suggestion would be to draw a small semi-circle on top of the radius, make it coincident to three points on the modeled radius, and then dimension to that.

Shawn, you will notice, if you ever work with boundary surface, or loft, that none of those surfaces can be dimensioned either. The way to dimension those is to pick a point on the surface, and draw a sketched point. Then you can dimension to that point. This is a similar idea.

Shawn Grigsby

Figured out why I could not select the edges to hide them.  Somehow the drawing was in draft quality which allows only a few options.  When I toggled it to high quality I could then hide the edges I needed too.

Being a noob to the drawing portion of SW is like learning it all over again and that was in 2008.  Yeah I know, how could I just now be getting into drawings after using SW for last 3 years?  I had played with it, but now its part of my job description, so onward and upward we go!

Thanks for all your input guys and gals!

-Shawn