13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 10:14 AM by Tor Iveroth

Computer name and checkout files

Faur Arama

We upgrade some computers I forgot to tell to the users to checkin all files. Now even the computers have the same names, users can't checkin files. I wondering if there is any solution for this problem other then deleting and adding again all those files.

• Re: Computer name and checkout files
          Kim Nguyen

One quick thought, you can try to back up all local copies of these files, use 'Undo check out' to get these files "back", check them out again then replace them by the backed up versions.

Kim

Jeff Sweeney

The ADMIN user should be able to check these file in.

Joy Garon

Hi Faur,

When you say you 'updated some computers', what do you mean exactly?

Regards,

Joy

Frank Pampreen

The issue I think is the LockViewID in the tables.  When you “upgraded” the computers if you created new local views then this ID was changed on the new systems even with the same name.  We’ve had customers do this before.  Basically, you have to get the LocalViewID from the Documents table and then change the users registry setting to match it.  You may be able to look in the Knowledge base to see how.

Thanks

Frank Pampreen

CAPINC

Faur Arama

Thank you Frank,

The filed name is LockViewID. Now I must find how to get this ID from each computer.

Tor Iveroth

Sounds to me as if when you upgraded to the new version, you also removed/deleted the local file vault views on the clients.   Keep in mind that the file vault view is also used ass the cache folder, so any files that are checked out and modified will be so in the cache folder.   Deleting the view manually during upgrade means that any modifications that might have been done in it would now be gone and you are left with the file checked out in the database but no matching local file.

Each vault view is unique and it is true that when checking out a file, the database will keep track of which unique view it was checked out in so that it can match it during check in.

The unique view ID is found in a hidden file called Desktop.ini in the root of the vault on each vault view. It is not stored in the registry.

Refer to Knowledge Base solution S-038423 for more details on the vault view ID and how to handle moved/deleted/etc. views.'

Note that it is not required to check in files during an upgrade, provided you do not delete the vault views containing the checked out files.   Admin is the only user allowed to "undo check out" on files that have been left checked out by other users and are in this problematic state.

-Tor Iveroth, SolidWorks tech support

Faur Arama

Thanks Tor,

First of all maybe I was not so clear about "upgrade". Upgrade means here that we change the old computer with a new one. I don't delete the old view on the old computer but I forgot to checkin files. I made a new view on the new one and even the computer has the same name with old one  pdm system told me that files are checkout on another computer. I could bring again the old computer and checkin the files and so on. I try to find another method to resolve that. Very precious information about ini file.

Faur Arama

Could you be more precise about the ini file, witch is the name and where to find it.

Tor Iveroth

Faur,

The file is called Desktop.ini and is in the root of the vault view. Its a hidden read-only file so you will have to use the command prompt to find it.   Please check out the SolidWorks knowledge base, KB solution S-038423 for more details on this.

Since you basically replaced workstations with new systems having same name, any already checked out files would still be marked as checked out on the "same" computer as before.  But since the views have been recreated - they are not the same as before so that is why you get the error when checking in.

I would recommend that you release the check out of these files by using Undo Checkout when logged in as Admin.   I assume that you no longer have the cached files from the old workstations so any changed content would not exist at this point.

-Tor