1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 11:52 PM by Mans Collner

Sewing large between two surfaces imported from STEP

Carter West

Hi folks,

I'm fairly competant at surfacing, however, it's not my strong suit.

1-10-2011 4-41-30 PM.png

My client sent me a design concept in a 3D model.  Don't know the origin, perhaps 3DS Max?  Doesn't matter.  I only get the STEP geometry.  From this, I need to make a mold for a rubber skin.  I also need to add some features for snaps, fasteners, etc.  I used STEP body to copy surfaces using offset surfaces with thickness set to zero.  Then I hide the original model view so I can work on the features I need to change.

My problem is that on the model there are fillets (that I don't copy in the surface copy process) and design features to give it cosmetics and regions.  I need to fill those in order to create my models.  Then I can trim etc.  The software they used however is not as verbose as SW and when I try to blend them together I can't get a smooth nor meshed surface to make my final thickness to 3mm solid.

Help?  What I need help with is; fill the gaps.  Knit to create a single body.  Thicken outwards to 3mm.

The file attached is a small section because this is proprietary and not ready for public.  Thanks in advance.

-Carter