7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2012 12:57 PM by Don Cheke

STACK TEXT

Carl Kauffman

I am trying to achieve 2 rows of text in the same box of a general table.

In my general table I double click in an empty box and click on STACK FORMATTING.

The problem is it will only allow me to use 8 letters.

How can adjust so I am able to use more letters?

• Re: STACK TEXT
          Troy Peterson

STACKED.jpg

You will need to cheat.

The top row is the cheat and the bottom is the stacked function.

To cheat type two rows in a txt document then copy and paste into a cell. Now just add an underline to the top set of text.

Josh Brady

You can do it, but it will not be editable in the user interface.  It seems like this should probably be a bug, since you can do it with a workaround.

When you create the stack using the GUI, all it really does is embed some tags (I call 'em SWML) into the note.  These tags aren't easy to see.

If you paste the following line into a note, you will get a really long stack:

<STACK size=1.0 divider=yes>Here is some really really long stack text<OVER>over a slightly shorter text</STACK>

If you ever want to see what SWML is in a note (at least in 2010) create a note that is linked to a property.  Then create whatever special formatting you are interested in (changed font, stack, bullets/numbering, etc) and exit editing the note.  Then select the note and hover over it. The SWML will be revealed in a tooltip.

Glenn Schroeder

Josh,

I'm not sure what you mean by it's not editable.  I typed two lines in Word, copied them and pasted them into a cell in a SW general table.  I was able to insert more text into each line without any problems.  In the example shown here I inserted the numerals after pasting the letters in the table.double row of text.JPG

Josh Brady

Glenn,

I was responding to the OP.  If you will test my method, you will see that it creates a stack including the line.

For your method, there is no need for Notepad, Word, etc.  all you need to do for a simple multiline in a table cell is Alt+Enter.  Just like Excel.

Glenn Schroeder

Josh,

Maybe I misunderstood Carl.  I thought he was only using the Stack Format function as a workaround to get two lines of text in a box.  If that's the case then using Alt+Enter like you mentioned should solve his problem.  (I didn't know about that and maybe he didn't either.)

Don Cheke

I know this is an old thread but I could not find anything newer when I searched for an answer to this. It is hard to believe this is not easily doable in SolidWorks, but what I have found that does work is to create the stacked text in MS Word and then copy and paste it into the SW table cell. The stack remains intact. A bit of a hoop to jump through but at least it works.