3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 12:03 PM by Charles Culp

to split line or not to split line

perry leets

I am modeling the fuselage of a helicopter, so far it looks pretty good although I'm not entirely happy with the accuracy of lofts. I will work more on that. The issue I do need to settle quickly though is the process of creating the doors and windows. What I have done so far is to simply draw the outline of the doors/windows with lines and arcs and then extrude that into a surface. I then created a split line via the intersections of these surfaces. This allows me to add transparency to the windows and different colors for the doors to make things more obvious. This method though does have some problems. For example, at some point I need to thicken the surfaces into solids so I can do further modeling as an assembly. Since the split lines don't actually create multiple distinct surfaces if I thicken the surface of the fuselage then the split lines (and thus my doors and windows) kinda disappear. Also, and related, since the split lines do not create additional surfaces I cannot move a door away from the main body of the fuselage, it is still part of the original surface.

So my question is: what would be the best way to create these doors and windows on the fuselage surface whereby I create multiple surfaces that can be thickened and moved independantly of one another but still retain their original shapes?

Thanks for any tips