8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 6:40 PM by Todd Puckett

Which would you upgrade first?

Todd Puckett

It's upgrade time again!

Currently we are running EPDM 2010 SP3 on SQL 2005.  We would like to upgrade to EPDM 2011 SP1 and SQL 2008 soon.  Any opinions on the best order to do this?

Thanks,

Todd

• Re: Which would you upgrade first?
          Devon Sowell

Hi Todd-

I just noticed the SQL upgrade from 2005-2008. I'd consider doing that first. All files must be Saved and Checked In and all Users logged off until the entire upgrade is complete.

You'll find the upgrade instructions in the attached Installation Guide ,review them closely prior to starting.

Cheers,

Devon Sowell

http://www.pdmsolution.com

Todd Puckett

Devon,

Thanks for the info, I saw some very good instructions on how to upgrade both EPDM and SQL, but was wondering if there was a prefered order.  My boss thinks we should upgrade to SQL 2008 first and then if all goes well upgrade in a few weeks to EPDM 2011 SP1.  I've got SolidWorks, Inventor, and AutoCAD 2011 users that would rather have the EPDM upgrade first.  I was hoping for a compelling reason to choose one over the other.  The EPDM upgrades are usually a breeze not sure about a SQL upgrade.  Have you upgraded anyone from SQL 2005 to 2008?

Todd

Devon Sowell

Todd-

Here is a clip from this site;

To upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2

1. Insert the SQL Server installation media, and from the root folder, double-click Setup.exe. To install from a network share, move to the root folder on the share, and then double-click Setup.exe. If the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup dialog box appears, click OK to install the prerequisites, then click Cancel to exit SQL Server 2008 R2 installation.

2. If the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installation dialog box appears, select the check box to accept the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 License Agreement. Click Next. To exit the SQL Server 2008 R2 installation, click Cancel. When installation of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is complete, click Finish.

3. Windows Installer 4.5 is also required, and may be installed by the Installation Wizard. If you are prompted to restart your computer, restart, and then run SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup.exe again.

4. When prerequisites are installed, the Installation Wizard starts the SQL Server Installation Center. To upgrade an existing instance of SQL Server, click Upgrade from SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005, or SQL Server 2008.

Here's the link:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspx

You'll have the upgrade option on the installation wizard.

Devon

Jeff Sweeney

I would upgrade SQL first --in the off chance that something may happen bad during the EPDM update, SQL 2008's rollback capabilities may be slightly better than SQL 2005's.

Overall I wouldn't spend more time thinking about it.

The SQL upgrade is cake...though it takes a while. (I think it took almost 30 minutes for me.)

Tor Iveroth

Hi Todd,

I would recommend upgrading SQL first, just as you suggest.  That way you know the DB environment is running as it should. Enterprise 2010 will work with SQL 2008.  The actual upgrade is really simple, just run the 2008 installer and follow the instructions.

But make sure you back up your databases beforehand - once they are in SQL 2008 format they cannot be restored in SQL 2005

Tor Iveroth, SolidWorks tech support