AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best Practice for Configuration Properties Advanced Options

Question asked by Pete Kressin on Dec 29, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 by Jerry Steiger

I'm looking for some guidance on a best practice to employ when using assembly configurations.

In an assembly, in the Configuration Properties Property Manager there is a list of Advanced Options.  The options that appear to apply in assembly mode that we are confused about are “Suppress new features and mates”, “Hide new components”, and “Suppress new components”.  What best practice is typically recommended for the settings for these options as a good default to use?

Our default for this has been to uncheck “Hide new components” and “Suppress new components” and check “Suppress new features and mates”.  I’ve seen some behavior that seems to cause trouble when we use these settings.

The first example of trouble is we create configurations in large assemblies to represent a certain option available for a machine.  If a person creates this configuration and adds the parts that go with this option, these parts are added to every configuration (because “Suppress new components” is unchecked).  This seems to mean that we should be checking this box as a default when we create configurations so that you do not have to go back and manually suppress this added item in every configuration.

Another example of trouble is when a part is added in a configuration and you unsuppress it in another configuration because it is used in two configs, the part in the second config is not mated to anything.  It has a bunch of unsuppressed mates in it.  This is because we check  “Suppress new features and mates”.  I’m not sure if this is a good practice or not.  On one hand if we uncheck this then the mates would carry over into the other config, right?  But, could this cause conflicts with other mates and cause a bunch of red and yellow errors and warnings to pop up when the config is activated?

Outcomes