14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 8:00 AM by Felix T.

.prt files

Mark Myers

What are .prt files? I have been sent CAD information from a customer, but they were all Solidworks part documents. Not sure what to do with them. Should they have just sent their models as an IGES or STEP?

Thanks,

Mark

• Re: .prt files
          Tony Cantrell

The SolidWorks files are .sldprt part file .sldasm assembly file .slddrw drawing file.

What are you trying to open them with, that will determine which conversion type to use-parasolid, iges or step.

John Summers

Part files ending in .prt are more than likely Pro-E but could be CadKey documents.  Try converting them to SW by changing the file type in the Open file dialog box.

Troy Peterson

I can see from your past posts that you do have Solidworks so your question does seem a bit strange. Solidworks files originally had the extension of ".prt" but currently that extension is a Pro-E part. If you are having issues opening the file you might ask them for one of the file types you mentioned in your post.

Mark Myers

Thanks, yes I believe I will ask for IGES or STEP.

The files they sent are Solidworks, but not a .sldprt extension.

Here is an example of what was sent:

15858487.drawing001.005999.prt

....and then the type says it is a Solidworks part document.

Thanks for the help!

John Summers

Since Parasolid is the native kernel within SolidWorks, my first request would be Parasolid (most reliable to convert), next would be Step and last would be IGES (less reliable conversion).

Steve Scudder

Windows will label the *.prt as a "Solidworks Part Document", but unless you have Pro/E installed, that doesn't necessarily mean it really is a Solidworks document. I even have Cadkey installed and it still thinks prt files are Solidworks. Like mentioned above, try to select Pro/E prt in the drop down menu when opening the file.

Mike Philipps

I am recieving .prt files from a customer using Unigraphics. I can not open them even when I mark them as such, and select that extension from the SolidWorks drop down. I get an error message saying that "Solidworks can not open compressed Unigraphics files" I went through and tried to unzip the part with Winzip to no avail. I hope you had better luck.

John Lhuillier

The .prt file extention used to be what Solidworks files were in the early 2000's. Now UG, Pro E & Cadkey use those for their file extentions. Like others have said Windows explorer will relate them to Solidworks regardless of what kind of file they are. You will need to try each of the 3 other types of file imports to see which one will open it. Or call your customer & ask them what kind of file that they sent you.

Mike Philipps

These files are from Unigraphics, when I select this from the drop down and try to openthe file - I get the message - can not open a compressed UG file.

Does anybody know of a conversion program so I can get these files converted to parasolid ?

Larry Wolff

.PRT is also the file extension for Metalsoft "Fabriwin" software. Amada has bought them and it's now called AP100. It's a 2D only cad useful for sheet metal flat patterns. It can export only to a .DWG, .DXF or .IGS.